Oh, it can still work. But costs are rising, response rates are falling, and it’s tougher today than a decade ago to get long-running controls in the mail.
So, what’s wrong with direct marketing? In my opinion, the three biggest problems in direct marketing today are the “3 C’s”: creativity, clutter, and credibility.
“One of the most insidious trends to emerge in the past few years is the mediocrity of all forms of creative,” says consultant Don Libey. “The technological embedding, digitalization, and all-important web functionality have supplanted true creative excellence with the dreary grayness of creative expediency.
“Direct marketing — a discipline that thrived and reached heretofore unachieved success in commerce — did so on the power of creative originality, innovation, and the master of the cre...(register to read more)
- The government end-of FY spending frenzy
- The most amazing fact about fundraising can help make any direct mail promotion more successful — including yours!
- 31-derfully simple ways to make your ads generate more inquiries
- Estimating response to business-to-business direct mail
- Ten ways to stretch your advertising budget