The success of James Mustich, Jr. and his eclectic book catalog, A Common Reader — launched in 1986 — is a refreshing exception to these claims.
A Common Reader is a mail order seller of, as their slogan proclaims, “Books for readers with imagination.” They sell mainly through catalog, though there is also a Web site (www.commonreader.com), which now accounts for 15 percent of orders.
Mustich mails catalogs 15 to 17 times a year. The exact same catalog never mails twice; each edition is new — although many of the same books are offered from issue to issue.
Several features make A Common Reader unique. First and foremost are a love for, and almost r...(register to read more)
- What works best in b-to-b direct mail: Short copy or long?
- Can blogging help you market your product online?
- Developing an 'investor plan' to attract an angel investor
- How to write catalog copy that sells
- How to do virtually all the market research you will never need — quickly, easily, and for free — online