As a shortcut, here’s a partial collection of such headlines from my vast swipe file, organized by category so as to make clear the approach being used:
- Ask a question in the headline
“What Do Japanese Managers Have That American Managers Sometimes Lack?”
- Tie-in to current events
“Stay One Step Ahead of the Stock Market Just Like Martha Stewart — But Without Her Legal Liability!”
- Create a new terminology.
“New ‘Polarized Oil’ Magnetically Adheres to Wear Parts in Machine Tools, Making Them Last Up to 6 Times Longer.”
- Give news using the words “new,” “introduction,” or “announcing.”
“Announcing a Painless Cut in Defense Spending.”
- Give the reader a command — tell him to do something.
“Try Burning This Coupon.”
- Use numbers and statistics.
“Who Ever Heard o...(register to read more)