- It is not creative for the sake of being creative.
- It is not designed to please copywriters, art directors, agency presidents, or even clients.
- Its main purpose is not to entertain, win awards, or shout at the readers, “I am an ad. Don’t you admire my fine writing, bold graphics, and clever concept?”
Okay. So that’s what an ad shouldn’t be. As for what an ad should be, here are some characteristics shared by successful direct response print ads:
- They stress a benefit. The main selling proposition is not cleverly hidden but is made immediately clear. Example: “How to Win Friends and Influence People.”
- They arouse curiosity and invite readership. The key here is not to be outra...(register to read more)