Five Detroit companies are offering employees cash incentives to live downtown.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Compuware Corp., DTE Energy, Quicken Loans and Strategic Staffing Solutions will give employees more than $4 million over five years if they move into any of six downtown neighborhoods.
The Live Downtown initiative is a talent attraction and retention strategy that also aims to rebuild Detroit’s core. The program will pay 16,000 full and part time Southeast Michigan employees who work at the five Detroit-based companies to make their homes in the city near their jobs.
include a $20,000 forgivable loan toward the purchase of a primary residence; $2,500 toward rent for the first year in a downtown apartment and additional $1,000 for the second year; $1,000 to renew a lease; and matching funds of up to $5,000 to existing downtown homeowners for exterior improvements costing at least $10,000.
Contact: Marge Sorge of the Downtown Detroit Partnership, (734) 578-6507.
- When considering pay cuts, weigh the risk of being on the hook for unemployment benefits
- Beware promising that benefits are permanent
- California Workers' Compensation Law
- Extremely small businesses may not be bound by FLSA minimum wage, overtime rules
- New York PR firm allows time for employees to recharge