Don't write off employee training just because your training budget is somewhere between slim and none.
You might think affordable (or free) training is hard to come by, but that's not true, says Linda Newell, director of learning and development for Policy Studies Inc.
With a little work and some elbow grease, you can put together a quality training program for employees. Here are some ideas to make it happen:
1. Chunks of learning. Training doesn't have to be all-day events. Invest in development in small bites, such as "lunch and learn" sessions or "power hours."
2. Government resources. Several options are available. For example, you can earn government training grants if you're located in an enterprise zone (see www.doleta.gov/business/ezec). You can also find free or low-cost training via Web downloads or video on topics such as sexual harassment and ADA at www.dol.gov/compliance.
3. Community groups/nonprofits. Organizations like the American Red Cross (www.redcross.org) can provide CPR courses, disaster training and more. Some organizations offer free or low-cost programs on conflict. Also, take advantage of colleges that have graduate students who can do pilot training programs.
4. Neighbors or vendors. Barter for services with neighbors or vendors, including temp agencies.
5. Cheap technology. Check out Moodle, a free software package designed to help educators create quality online courses. Go to www.moodle.org.
6. "Home" videos. See if your local college film program will use your company as a pet project to create material such as orientation videos.
Further informal learning can include company newsletters, posters and "tip-of-the- week" programs.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/2037/train-your-employees-on-the-cheap-6-low-cost-options "