Business Management Daily announces a new free resource for employers, attorneys, HR professionals and managers on federal and state overtime labor laws. Download a copy of Overtime Labor Law: 6 compliance tips to avoid FLSA overtime lawsuits, wage-and-hour labor audits and FLSA exemption mistakes at www.businessmanagementdaily.com/Overtime-labor-law.
Employers, beware: The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) is launching a crackdown on employers that stiff workers out of overtime pay. New Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is promising to “refocus the agency on its enforcement responsibilities.” The proof: The DOL’s Wage and Hour Division is adding 250 new field investigators—a staff increase of more than a third—to look into noncompliance on wage-and-hour labor issues.
Employment law class-action litigation is growing at an explosive rate, and the economic meltdown will probably fuel even more lawsuits this year.
Wage-and-hour labor litigation continues to increase exponentially. Federal class actions brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) outnumbered all other types of private class actions in employment-related cases. Particularly hard hit: employers in California, Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Texas.
How high is the price tag? The top 10 wage-and-hour labor class-action settlements in 2008 totaled $252.7 million.
Clearly, this is not the time to make an FLSA compliance mistake. Use this special report, Overtime Labor Law: 6 Compliance Tips, to review your overtime pay policy and double-check your FLSA exempt employees’ status. And if you’ve been notified that a DOL auditor is coming to inquire about possible wage-and-hour labor violations, get prepared by taking the self-audit at the end of this report.
- Free keyboard shortcuts in honor of Administrative Professionals Week will save time and reduce stress at work
- Business Management Daily offers free training podcast on time management and productivity
- Business Management Daily to celebrate Administrative Professionals Week by giving gifts to its admin readers
- Office Communication Toolkit: 7 common employee gripes (and how to silence them)
- Free report will help business professionals manage difficult bosses