Question: If an employee provides an I-9 document that’s subject to photo matching in E-Verify, can an employer ask or require the employee to provide a copy of the document to use during the E-Verify process? Must employers retain copies of documents used for photo matching, even if the matching is done with the employee’s original document?
Answer: Employers must view original documents for photo matching and keep accurate copies of the documents for E-Verify purposes.
(Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Extensive training is the key to recruiting and retaining
- Warn bosses: E-mail is smoking-gun evidence
- Keep hiring as objective as possible -- and beware loose criteria that could let in bias
- New DOT rule means taking a real close look at drug tests