Question: If an employee provides an I-9 document that’s subject to photo matching in E-Verify, can an employer ask or require the employee to provide a copy of the document to use during the E-Verify process? Must employers retain copies of documents used for photo matching, even if the matching is done with the employee’s original document?
Answer: Employers must view original documents for photo matching and keep accurate copies of the documents for E-Verify purposes.
(Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- Hiring temps onto your staff? Still check their backgrounds
- Firing harasser is necessary, even if long-ago age comment could spark lawsuit
- Tighten I-9 practices in advance of new legislation
- California Supreme Court limits liability for independent contractor's injuries
- Asking worker to fetch coffee may be old-school, but is it harassment?