Question: If an employee provides an I-9 document that’s subject to photo matching in E-Verify, can an employer ask or require the employee to provide a copy of the document to use during the E-Verify process? Must employers retain copies of documents used for photo matching, even if the matching is done with the employee’s original document?
Answer: Employers must view original documents for photo matching and keep accurate copies of the documents for E-Verify purposes.
(Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- When harassment case is on the line, be ready to prove you did everything you could to stop it
- Mandating New-Age spirituality at work can trigger an Old-School lawsuit
- Before negotiating, do a pay check
- Employee or independent contractor? Actual working conditions dictate classification
- FMLA, FLSA, ADA and more: The 10 employment laws every manager must know