Question: If an employee provides an I-9 document that’s subject to photo matching in E-Verify, can an employer ask or require the employee to provide a copy of the document to use during the E-Verify process? Must employers retain copies of documents used for photo matching, even if the matching is done with the employee’s original document?
Answer: Employers must view original documents for photo matching and keep accurate copies of the documents for E-Verify purposes.
(Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- Workers' comp law: How to keep costs, compliance in check
- Poor economy, new legal peril: Refusing to hire the unemployed
- Make sure application & interview questions don't pry into health history
- Keep the faith: You can accommodate religions in the workplace
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee