Question: If an employee provides an I-9 document that’s subject to photo matching in E-Verify, can an employer ask or require the employee to provide a copy of the document to use during the E-Verify process? Must employers retain copies of documents used for photo matching, even if the matching is done with the employee’s original document?
Answer: Employers must view original documents for photo matching and keep accurate copies of the documents for E-Verify purposes.
(Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- Service members' jobs protected—If actually employed
- No home address on résumé: Is that a problem?
- 7 deadly questions: What hiring managers can't ask
- Lessons from the 2006 SHRM conference: Do you really need to offer that employee benefit?
- Dayton gets unlikely help from union when courts try to force settlement