Q. As an employer, do we have an obligation to alert authorities about at-home physical abuse of an employee? We have an employee who has been open about abuse at the hands of a spouse, so we know it's going on. —S. R., Wisconsin
A. You don't have any legal obligation to report an employee's spousal abuse. From a business perspective, you need to decide whether you want to inject your company into family matters, and possibly a violent situation. Most companies answer this question in the negative and don't get involved. If your company has an, HR should bring that to the attention of the abused employee.
- What is 'cat's paw' liability?
- The effects of stress on workplace performance
- No policies, no job descriptions, no training: A case study in how not to hire & promote
- Use progressive discipline—or prepare to pay unemployment even if conduct was outrageous
- Supreme Court's Ledbetter decision could affect your pay policies