Q. As an employer, do we have an obligation to alert authorities about at-home physical abuse of an employee? We have an employee who has been open about abuse at the hands of a spouse, so we know it's going on. —S. R., Wisconsin
A. You don't have any legal obligation to report an employee's spousal abuse. From a business perspective, you need to decide whether you want to inject your company into family matters, and possibly a violent situation. Most companies answer this question in the negative and don't get involved. If your company has an, HR should bring that to the attention of the abused employee.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- The new OT rules: You've got questions; we've got answers
- Work with IT staff to make sure all HR documents are easily accessible
- What's the timetable for reverifying I-9s?
- Don't fall into the retaliation trap! Have solid reason for firing complainer