Q. As an employer, do we have an obligation to alert authorities about at-home physical abuse of an employee? We have an employee who has been open about abuse at the hands of a spouse, so we know it's going on. —S. R., Wisconsin
A. You don't have any legal obligation to report an employee's spousal abuse. From a business perspective, you need to decide whether you want to inject your company into family matters, and possibly a violent situation. Most companies answer this question in the negative and don't get involved. If your company has an, HR should bring that to the attention of the abused employee.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee or supervisor? Classification affects union eligibility
- Minnesota's 8.8% unemployment rate outpaces national average
- Thorough and confidential investigation is best HR response when harassment strikes
- Flextime: Not just for women anymore