Q. As an employer, do we have an obligation to alert authorities about at-home physical abuse of an employee? We have an employee who has been open about abuse at the hands of a spouse, so we know it's going on. —S. R., Wisconsin
A. You don't have any legal obligation to report an employee's spousal abuse. From a business perspective, you need to decide whether you want to inject your company into family matters, and possibly a violent situation. Most companies answer this question in the negative and don't get involved. If your company has an, HR should bring that to the attention of the abused employee.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 4 biz books worth checking out
- Make it there, make it anywhere: Don't let NYC's tough bias rules beat you
- HR pros, take note: Doing your job isn't 'Protected activity'
- He said/She said: The legal risks of interviewing transgender applicants