The 3rd Circuit has vacated its decision on the so-called "ministerial exception," which typically exempts religious institutions from religious discrimination charges.
The court ruled that the ministerial exception doesn't apply to cases in which the alleged discrimination had nothing to do with the employee's religious practices or religion. (Petruska v. Gannon University) The court referred the case for rehearing. Reason: One of the judges who heard the case has died and another has recused himself. Two new judges will be appointed to complete the panel for rehearing.
- Heard sexual harassment complaint is coming? Immediately launch your investigation
- Cut lawsuit risk by filling vacant position with similar person
- Stop harassment with warning, then follow up to confirm problem was really solved
- Disability-bias suit seeks promotional video captions
- Could we have refused to hire waitress who now refuses to sing 'Happy Birthday'?