What’s the most bizarre thing you’ve ever experienced in a job interview?

in Human Resources,The HR Specialist Forum

Part of HR Specialist's celebration of HR Professionals Week (March 1 – 5) involved readers like you answering this question:

What's the strangest thing that’s ever happened to you during a job interview — either as an applicant or as a hiring manager?

You didin drovesand your responses appear below. Feel free to keep adding to our treasure trove of interviewing inanity.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/18833/whats-the-most-bizarre-thing-youve-ever-experienced-in-a-job-interview "

Tracy May 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Ive had several good ones:
1) The admin applicant who said she was looking for a new job because at her last one “everyone was killed.” She also let me knw she is a member of the Black Amish
2) The admin applicant who seemed top notch and put together, until she started talking about her most recent correspondence and extensive phone calls with “Condi” and her subsequent frustrations that Ms Rice wasn’t following her advice
3) the applicant who threatened to shoot me because the application requested a social security number

Anne May 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

At a former employer (clothing manufacturer) the ad was for a male pattern model with very specific measurements. The model had to exactly match the pattern size so the test garments could be checked and design changes made. I could see the waiting applicants in the lobby One applicant's shirt was open to the waist and he spent his time combing his chest hair into rows of spit curls. He then informed me that the size we were looking for (39 regular suit) was too "chubby" to be any good. He was followed by the woman who said that we were discriminatory since we wanted only a male to check the fit of men's suits! Since she had a 39-inch bust she felt she was qualified. Needless to say, neither got the job.

Susan January 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I went to a job interview on my lunch hour and hadn’t eaten breakfast either. The woman interviewing me was explaining about the job, I was seated and listening nervously when all of a sudden I heard a roaring in my ears that drowned out her voice…like a tv show with the sound turned off, I watched her mouth moving but could not hear a word she was saying…as everything started to turn black around the sides of my vision, I realized “Oh my God, I’m going to faint!” (but fortunately I said nothing)…while I concentrated on breathing and NOT fainting, she kept talking and talking and talking and finally, the moment passed, the darkness cleared away, the roaring ceased and I could hear her again…whatever she said that I missed did not matter because by the time she asked me a question I was able to answer. Unbelievably, I got the job. Since I tend to talk too much, interrupt too much–especially when I’m nervous–maybe my temporary inability to hear or speak even helped me by making me appear to be a good listener. Lesson learned: no matter how nervous you are, do not go to a job interview on an empty stomach!

Tanya November 1, 2010 at 11:29 pm

During my first panel interview, I was being asked difficult questions, such as, “Pick a current event in the news and solve the problem.” We were on the 10th floor of a building, when a man swings down outside and starts washing the windows behind the people who were interviewing me. I thought for sure it was a test to see if I could concentrate amongst distractions!

cakoo April 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm

give me a break…babies do not belong at job interviews – period…whether they are breats fed or bottle fed, they should be left at home with a sitter who can feed them…most brest feeding mothers with common sense would have pumped ahead of time and left a bottle with the sitter

Steph April 22, 2010 at 7:50 am

I once interviewed for a technical position with a city government branch. The interviewer was the project manager, and during the interview she called in her technical lead to review my technical qualifications. The two of them proceeded to get into a screaming, obscenity-ridden argument that went on for quite a while – and he never asked me a question. Later that day, they offered me the job – which I declined.

Sandy Hedrick April 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I interviewed a very strange woman for a Secretarial position we had advertised. She was very vague and had trouble focusing on what I was saying. She smiled a lot and looked at everything in the office – from the ceiling to the carpet. I asked her why she wanted to work for us. She smiled and said that she was abducted by aliens ten years ago and this seemed like a nice company to try to re-enter a human society. I thought she was kidding, but she was serious. Our corp office already thought their CA branch was special, but this took it over the top.

Yvonne March 19, 2010 at 9:56 am

No while breastfeeding in “public” isn’t against the law, there is a time and usually a designated place for everything. Who would be “breastfeeding” her baby while she was at work, provided she got the job? And suppose there wasn’t anyone there to “watch” her baby while she interviewed. Again, they make very good devices for women who prefer to breastfeed………they’re called breast pumps……..and bathrooms……..Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing, but it should also be a somewhat private thing………

Joann March 10, 2010 at 7:53 am

Too many years ago we were hiring for a part time cashier position for an appliance store. One applicant indicated she was a nurse and under hobbies (that is how long ago it was!) she put that she liked to use surgical instruments. Was just too scary for me even back then!!

Meg March 9, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I had an interviewer get my name wrong the whole interview, then tell me I didnt seem interested enough in the position…

Also had an interview where they told me that the company had hired a consulting firm to look at restructuring the company, then hired the consultant to run the company. They said that things had settled down now and most of the lawsuits were settled so they thought thing would get better now.

Samantha March 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

As a breastfeeding working mother, I had to reply to the comment about the woman who breasfed her child while waiting to be interviewed. First of all, she was on time for her interview, and secondly, it is the law in most states that you may breastfeed your infant in a public place. As long as she had someone there to look after the baby while she did the interview, I see nothing wrong with what she did. Her baby was hungry and she fed him/her, end of story. Breastfeeding is not something that can always be timed.

DeeCee March 8, 2010 at 11:25 am

I know a young man who was interviewing for a position in Oklahoma City. During the interview, there was a loud sound and the building shook. The nearby Murrah building had just been bombed. The interview came to an immediate halt. He did not get the job.

Marcia March 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

I applied for an administrative assistant position with a company that taught business protocol. I was called back 3 times & thought I’d made a good impression & might just get the job. They required a certain form of dress & professionalism.
I never heard back from them – no letter letting me know the job had been give to someone else – some professionalism!

Alicia March 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm

That’s hysterical

Erin March 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

While phone interviewing someone for a telecommuncations position, the potential applicant flushed the toilet they had just used and I’m quite certain it was some kind of department store bathroom by the force of the flush.

In another instance, an applicant came in for some pre-employment testing at 9am and absolutely stunk like alcohol as if she had the drink in her truck. Not surprisingly, she failed the testing and blamed it on “the headset.”

C Darnell March 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I have gotten quite a few “good” ones over the years of interviewing. The strangest was the woman coming in to interview as the Admin Assistant for our General Manager. During the interview, in which she brought her three children, including a new born, she decides to it time for the baby to eat and begins breast feeding without missing a beat in answering questions. For the ones that did not make it past the application stage, the most bizarre was an applicant stating his last job was “Self Employed” and his reason for leaving “Fired”. If he could not work for himself, I am not sure who he could work for.

Julie H March 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

My first job we kept a file of funniest applications. My favorite was the applicant whose last position was “Chief Chicken Killer” – reason for leaving “couldn’t stand to kill one more chicken”. A couple of years later I had a different job, in a different state and I was conducting “walk – in ” interviews for a major retailer. I had a young female applicant who was extremely nervous. I knew she was too young to hire, but thought she would benefit from the experience of an interview. I tried to put her at ease, I commented on how well she completed her application, still nervous. Then I thought – humor! A little laugh will relax her, and I proceeded to tell her about the Chief Chicken Killer and he couldn’t stand to kill one more chicken.. Well, as I am laughing, she now looks like she is going to cry. I thought well, let’s get this over with, so I turn over her application and read under experience – “chicken killer” and reason for leaving “can’t stand killing chickens”. I don’t remember what I said other than I’m sorry you must be 18 to work here, how do you apologize??? I learned you always read the application before the interview.

P Caswell March 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

Marcie and the transexual. Again, people sometimes don’t realize the things that are required by those who are a little differen than what most consider “normal.” Anyone wishing a *** change has to live as their “correct” gender for a year befor they can have the surgery. I hope your distraction did not preclude this person from getting the job.

Marcie March 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

We were hiring a receptionist and we had a “woman” come in to interview. There was something different about her…she was extremely tall for one and before long we realized that she was a “he.” The whole interview I just kept looking down at her “man hands” and couldn’t concentrate on asking any questions!

Ari March 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

I was hiring for an A/R (Accounts Receivable) position. I got a call from a candidate wanting more information about the newspaper ad, her first question was, what’s A/R? Although I was shocked by her question I answered Accounts Receivable. She wanted me to give her more explanation; I let her know that obviously if she didn’t know what A/R was she was not qualified for the job. I think I ended up hanging up.

Melissa Watkins March 4, 2010 at 11:21 am

When I started in HR 20 years ago I was with a big staffing firm. One time I had a fantastic candidate that came through, right out of the service, professional clean cut, polite. Just a dynamite young man. I scheduled him to interview with one of our top clients-a Fortune 100 financial services company, with no concerns whatsoever. However, the next day–they called and said they thought he was amazing–however he had Gold Spraypaint all over his hair. Turns out the great young man also played in a band at night and had a gig the prevfious night. Somehow, someway–they overlooked this and hired him.

I also had an applicant who came into the office as an executive secretary candidate–she was outstanding in every respect. Unfortunately, during the course of the interview and testing she had a bowel movement in her pants. The whole office was gagging and people were leaving to stand in the hall. I asked her if she wanted to take a “break” but she refused and stayed. Eventually, it was just me and her in the office and I couldn’t decide whether to be sick or sad. I’m still friends with those coworker folks and we laugh about it 20 years later. It was the strangest thing!

None March 4, 2010 at 11:14 am

I interviewed for a promotion within a certain company where the job entailed supervising a call center staffed by all women. As a male with prior management experience, I thought nothing about it. They hired someone from the outside and when I asked why I wasn’t offered the job, the director told me they hired a woman because they felt a woman could handle the women in the call center better then a male could! I was stunned…

C S March 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Interviewed a female candidate for a receptionist position and during the interview kept ‘wiggling’ in her chair. About 10 minutes into the interview I asked if she was alright and she stated she was fine. Thinking she was nervous I continued the interview. After 20 minutes I couldn’t focus due to her constant movement and I asked if she was ok. Her reply this time was I have a STD and need the job for health insurance so I can get drugs. She didn’t get the position and I hope she got the much needed medical attention she needed.

nbr March 3, 2010 at 11:47 am

We were hiring CDL driver….one guy never showed for his interview. The second guy called 25 minutes after appt. time to say he was running a little late…he showed up over 1 hour later. When asked about his CDL, which was clearly a requirement, he said ‘no problem, I can get that today if you want”…we run his MVR, and he has three recent DUI’s. I’m thinking that would be a problem! (in addition to his time management skills!) The third candidate called a few hours before his appointment and said he was “up north hunting and having a good time, so can we reschedule for next week or later?” (no, we can’t!)

Glenn Druhot March 2, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Another lady that I was interviewing broke down in tears about half of the way through and blurted out that she just had to land this job or her husband would be very upset with her. Oh yeah, that’s the kind of person I want to hire…..

Glenn Druhot March 2, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I interviewed a lady one time when I was a college administrator and much to my surprise she brought her 3 year old son. What distracted me the most was that he as apparently attracted to a large blue rok on his mother’s hand. So much so that he stood up and sucked on the rock throughout the entire interview. I found that to be distracting.

Kelly March 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm

So many stories so little time… let’s see do I go with the women who came in with her child and decided to breast feed in the lobby while waiting to be interviewed? Oh no I know, how about the lady that dropped the “F” bomb not once, not twice but 5 times in the interview before I ended it within about 10 minutes (she was interviewing for a telecommunications position). How about the guy that came in for an interview and left his car running and his child sleeping in the front seat. Nope, my all time fav was the guy that came in on a rainy day with his new puppy. When I arrived in the lobby to take him up for the interview not only did the whole lobby smell like wet dog, he had allowed his pup to run jump and play on the brand new leather couches the company had just purchased. So there were little wet paw prints everywhere. When I told him we needed to reschedule as he hadn’t presented himself appropriately for the interview, he asked me if it was because he had brought the dog in. When I confirmed, he offered to take the dog back out to the car to sit there with his girlfriend… DUH why didn’t you do that in the first place? Needless to say, he didn’t get the job and his girlfriend who was my next interview didn’t either.

Mary Carol Parker March 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I had an applicant come in with her boyfriend, and let me add here that there is large window between my office and where applicants sit, so they can see me and vice versa. While filling out her application her became amorous and they proceeded to “make out”. I had to go out and ask them to leave – others were in the room I might add.

Len Bates March 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I was interviewing a candidate who suddenly had to excuse herself from the room. When I asked if everything was all right she replied that she had to go get her car. She had looked out the window and noticed that her parking brake had failed and that her car was slowly rolling through the parking lot. Yes, we hired her- but not for a driving role.

Once when I was being interviewed for an HR role, I made it to the final round. Instead of being asked questions, the interviewer did most of the talking and was yawning at the same time…seemed like he was boring himself. Where it got really weird was when he expressed his disdain for perky women who went into Training to use fancy flipcharts and coloured markers. And the interviewer was their SR VP of HR. I got the job which included there moving me across the country. I turned it down as I could not work for such a boor. I could only imagine what the rest of the company was like if this was their senior HR person!

P Caswell March 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

This one I might have an idea of what her situation was. If you are public assistance, as crazy as it seems, you cannot qualify for day care until you have a job! Therefore, someone that does not have any friends or family willing or able to take care of their child so they can interview is in quite a dilema. It is hard to do the right thing by going to work if people don’t know that.

Ivonne Garcia March 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I was interviewing a receptionist candidate. Halfway through the interview her false teeth fell out onto the table. She said “I’m not getting the job am I? She didn’t

Kella Johnson March 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I used an employment service to screen and test people for a bookkeeping position to help eliminate unqualified applicants. During one interview for a bookkeeper position the strangest thing happened. At one point during the interview the lady says to me I am heavier than I used to be. I explained I didn’t even notice and that would have nothing to do with the job responsibilities. She then says I am going through a divorce because my husband is a cross dresser. He likes to wear woman’s clothing. I was able to turn slightly in my chair and look down at her resume and application because I was not sure what my facial expression might be at that point. I simple said I’m sorry and redirected with one of my questions. I ended the interview as quickly as possible. Then proceeded to call the employment service to explain why I would not be hiring this applicant and that perhaps they should discuss with her proper things to bring up in an interview. My rep couldn’t believe she had said that. I said if she would tell me that in 20 minutes during an interview she would be discussing it with every employee she came in contact with once employed.

Pat Rose March 2, 2010 at 11:51 am

Sometime during the interview I always ask the applicant what he or she does for fun to relax the person. One woman started off by telling me she liked to play bingo on Monday nights. Then she said she liked to play on Wednesdays too. She then started to cry, told me she played almost every night, had lost all her money and her husband had divorsed her because of bingo. Needless to say, she didn’t get the job but I found out where every good bingo hall was in the area.

Kim March 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

When conducting a phone interview for a position in telecommunications company, I asked the candidate why she wanted to work for this particular company. She went on and on about how badly she wanted to get back into the banking industry; she even said how excited she was about getting a call for an interview with a different company, which is where she thought I was calling from, even though I clearly said the business name at the start of the interview. This let me know that she had no clue what company she was talking to and for what job she was being interviewed, nor did she have very good active listening skills. Needless to say, she didn’t get called back for a 2nd interview.

Carolyn March 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

I interviewed an individual for Records Manager who volunteered that he suffered from Post Traumatic Stress and that he felt it important to tell me upfront so that there would not be issues like happened in his last position. He he was a war vetern who experienced flashbacks when he received certain “stimula”. In his case the stimula was the smell of petroleum products.

This could have been a problem because across the street was a gas station so I asked him to explain how that would impact his ability to do the job. He said the last time that he had experienced the problem, he had “acted inappropriately”. I asked him if he cared to elaborate and he said “well, I thought I smelled Napam and I robbed a bank!”

Carol March 2, 2010 at 10:02 am

I was interviewing a candidate for an accounting manager position. The candidate was sitting in a revolving chair and spent the entire interview with his back to me and looking at me over his shoulder. Needless to say, he didn’t get the job.

Fil, AA March 2, 2010 at 10:02 am

I had that happen to me to at Prudential in Newark. I wonder if they do it on purpose. They asked me to retake the test, so I scheduled a date and never showed up. I didn’t want to work with irresponsible people. What a way to represent a company.

Kani March 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm

A co-worker and I were interviewing for a professional project engineering position and halfway through the interview, the candidate asked how much longer would the interview takes since he had a racketball game scheduled in thirty minutes.

HR1 March 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only to have this happen. I cannot remember if the candidate was hired or not; the only thing stuck in my mind is that the mother was there from the application to the interview.

HR1 March 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I have two bizarre interviewing experiences…

#1 – I interviewed a candidate for a customer service position and afterwards the candidate completed an online assessment quiz (as was protocol for all applicants). The interview went fairly well; however, unfortunately (well maybe fortunately!) the applicant did not score well on the quiz and was not hired as a result. A few days later, I received a frantic call from my manager stating that the same applicant had left several threatening calls on her voicemail saying that they were coming to kill the …. that didn’t hire them. Security was increased, a personal escort was assigned, and I received my first (and hopefully last) order of protection!

#2 (shocking, but not as much as #1) – While working at the same company, an applicant came in for an interview with a baby in a stroller and asked if the receptionist would watch the baby during the interview. When informed that the interview would need to be rescheduled to another day when they have adequate child-care arrangements, the applicant became extremely irate. The applicant never returned. If you cannot find a sitter for a few hours while you interview, how do you expect to work a full-time position??

Rachael March 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I hear stories of people doing over the top things to get the job, but never find out how it worked out when they were hired. How did she work out?

Tori March 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Oh, here’s another one! A Fortune 500 company…the interviewer actually told me they were going to downsize and close many departments in about 3 – 6 months, then a year, then in another couple of years! Including the one I was interviewing for! Are you kidding me?! Thank you but no thank you.

Tori March 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm

The interviewer hired me on the spot. We went through the new hire program immediately and began reviewing company policies and procedures. When she got to the part of notifying security if I ever witnessed someone taking something from the store, that’s where things got really weird. She told me to notify security immediately; but, she never told me where they were located to do this. So, I asked. She became so suspicious, her mannerisms became comical. She went as far as to get up and get the “Head of Security” that wasn’t even 20 years old yet. Honestly, he looked barely old enought to wipe his own nose. He came into the room with his chest puffed out, arms crossed, and attempted to have a hard GI Joe glare on his face, trying to intimidate me. I honestly thought that maybe she didn’t realize what she said to me, so I reiterated the conversation and told her exactly what she said which is why I asked the question. No response. Just more weird behavior. Then, I thought I was on Candid Camera or being Punked or something. Nope. This is how they really were. How could I implement something without having all the information? After all, she’s the one who wanted me to do this. I was still offered the position but refused it later that day because of the strange interview. In light of it, I was very glad it happened. Prior to the interview, I thought I saw some problems in the departments, briefly watching the employees, that raised some red flags but I just dismissed it. I thought maybe I didn’t undertand how they did business or something. This experience reinforced my initial instincts. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!

Cindy Miles March 1, 2010 at 10:56 am

Oddly enough, twice in my career the Interviewer ate during the interview. First time, I’m an Army officer interviewing with the Inspector General. The guy is eating a chicken breast at 10am. Several years later, I interviewed for a job with a Federal agency. It was a panel interview and the second line supervisor ate cookies while five members of her supervisory staff interviewed me. In both instances my initial thought was to apologize for wasting their time and leave immediately. I should have acted on my instincts and left as I did not get either job!

Joyce February 28, 2010 at 5:34 pm

A young lady came in for an interview for a receptionist position. Her mother came in with her and helped her fill out the application. Her mother waited patiently while the young lady intereviewed for the position — it was her first real job intereview. Her mother asked how her daughter did, thanked the manager that was doing the interviewing and assured her that should her daughter get the job, she would make sure that her daughter came to work every day and on time. She was hired, her mother kept her part of the bargain, and the young lady turned out to perform well.

vicki clay February 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Many years ago I had an interviewed scheduled with the Financial Controller for a major manufaturing company. On the morning of the interview, I received a call from the recruitment agency to say that the Financial Controller had called to cancel my interview because he had taking a liking to the first candidate. The agency pushed back with him and insisted that my interview still proceed. Naturally my first impressions of the Financial Controller were already ‘coloured’. During the interview his telephone rang and he said to me “would you get that” and he walked out! Presumably I handled myself well on the day because I was offered the role and had a terrific working relationship at the company for the next 10 years.

Mary Schroeder February 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I was interviewing with a top executive at one company and asked, “What is the corporate culture like?” Her answer: “Fear.” They had just had a major downsizing and everyone was afraid of losing their jobs. I thanked her very much for her time and got the heck out of there!

JAC February 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Job interview! Excitement! Rushing to the interview, I slammed the car door… only to realize my keys were in still in the ignition. Bigger problem. The car was still running. Did my interview wondering whether my car would die or explode. Interview over, the car was still running. Called AAA, got the keys out. Got the job too.

Pam, AA February 26, 2010 at 3:20 pm

When applying for an administrative assistant position, I was asked to take a computerized test on Microsoft Office and a typing skills test. I was put into a room, in front of a computer and handed headphones. I was told they would know when I was done and would come and get me. I finished the test, sat for 15 minutes, opened the door to the hall and called out, “Hello, anyone there?” I got no answer, waited a few more minutes and tried to find my way back to the reception area. Someone I had not seen before asked me what I was doing there. I told her I had finished the computer test and was ready for the interview. She replied that everyone had gone out to lunch and she was a temp answering the phone. She said, “I guess they forgot about you, you might as well go home.” I went home and forgot about them!

Graham February 26, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I once worked in an office where a candidate died during the interview! It was an appointment for a reasonably senior government post, around 20 years ago. The interview panel asked a question, and the man took a long time to answer — apparently because he was, in fact, in the throes of some sort of seizure. He died before the ambulance arrived.

Mary February 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Once when I was going for a new job, my mom called the interviewer. During the interview. I can still see the look on the woman’s face as she handed me the phone. It was to relay that my next interview needed to be rescheduled (I had two back to back). Surprisingly enough, I got the job anyway!

Adrienne February 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm

A few months ago I interviewed for a Business Manager position. The interview was with one Executive and two other Executives were listening in on a conference phone (they were snowed in). One of the questions was to describe my career this far by drawing a picture on the bulletin board! Then describe my drawing to the other Executives since they couldn’t see. Awkward! First because I cannot draw to save my life, second, because the Executive who was there in person kept butting in and describing what he thought my drawings looked like. Horrible!

Needless to say, I didn’t get the job, but have been working on my drawing skills ever since!

Margaret February 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Many years ago I was applying for an administrative assistant position with a Fortune 500 company from an ad that had appeared in a local paper. I was called for an interview, went through their testing and preliminary interview protocols. All indications were that they were highly impressed, and I then met with a more senior HR executive.

It was at this point that it turned into the weirdest interview experience ever. I was informed, for the first time, that the position was not with the company doing the interviewing. A senior executive had donated the services of the company’s HR department to a local non-profit organization to hire an admin. They would not reveal the name of the actual hiring organization.

While I was still surprised by that news, the HR exec appeared to “lose it.” He angrily began ranting that he was an executive recruiter and didn’t deal with “secretaries,” that his boss was forcing him to do this, and on, and on, and on about ever injustice he had ever suffered while employed by this company.

I have often wondered if I was the unlucky individual who walked into his office on the day he just “couldn’t take it any more,” or if it was some sort of test to see how a candidate reacted. In any event, that was the last I heard from him!

T.S. February 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

During an interview, my applicant was paged to the reception area. I could not imagine who would have interrupted, but I excused him. I called the receptionist for details. She said the police were there for him. On my desk sat his cell phone, wallet and keys. Suddenly he reappeared and asked how much longer the interview would take because he had to go pay some fines. I told him to have a nice day; the interview was over.

Andrea February 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

A person I was interviewing for a customer service job refused to take the typing test because she had just got her nails done.

Whitney February 23, 2010 at 4:37 pm

“We had a candidate for our Director of Marketing position deliver her résumé in a big cellophane bag was delivered nicely decorated with ribbons and gold stars. Inside the bag was a big, red-and-white-striped box of popped popcorn. Inside the box of popcorn were the résumé (protected in a sleeve) and a DVD. The DVD was a video résumé elaborating on the written résumé. It was pretty cool … and yes, the person got the job.”

R.D. February 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I interviewed a candidate for an account technician position. She brought in a kitten that she proceeded to hold and keep warm during the interview. She was “sitting” for the cat, as its mother had died and she was trying to keep it alive. She was helping out a local organization that rescues animals. Very commendable, but for the interview, she might have found someone else to kitten sit!