When can I toss all those old résumés?

in The HR Specialist Forum

I’m looking to streamline our HR office, and it strikes me that getting rid of old résumés applicants have sent in over the years would help. What guidelines should I follow when deciding which applications and résumés I should keep and which to toss? Specifically, I need to know what to do with applications that didn’t meet the minimum requirements we advertised, arrived too late to be considered or that were unsolicited.—Markie, Oregon

See responses below

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/18762/when-can-i-toss-all-those-old-rsums "

Lori March 18, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I work for a muncipality and if they are unsolicited we are required to keep the resume on file for one year. If they are solicited then we are required to keep them for three years.

Alice March 11, 2009 at 3:09 pm

We stamp them with a received date and shred after one year. At that point they are considered obsolete.

Danille March 11, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Our company policy dictates that we keep all résumés for a rolling-12 year. I’ll be getting rid of all the résumés date February 2008 and earlier.

Becky March 4, 2009 at 9:15 am

We keep them for a year and toss them. During that year, we do peiordically go through them again if another opening comes up. But after a year we toss them.

celt365 March 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I would scan them and store them electronically on a network server or cd if you want to keep them form longer than a year or so. Helpful for also storing them in catagories (min requirements not met, unsolicited, etc). Just be careful of your catagory names. We all hear and read the horror stories of the lawsuits some folks will file.

jdd March 3, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Our policy is two years from date of application

Sandy March 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Our AA Policy states that we hold onto all applications for a period of one year (after the search closes). All unsuccessful applicants receive a letter informing them of this and that they MAY be contacted if another opening occurs. After that, they are shredded.