Can anyone recommend a computer-based time-clocking system? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Can anyone recommend a computer-based time-clocking system?

in The HR Specialist Forum

"My company has 200 employees. I want to replace our manual time clocks and punch cards with a computerized system. I have been looking for a vendor or a software package that can do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on who or what to choose? How much should I plan on spending? Is it difficult to get such a system up and running?"—Clyde W.

See comments below

Heather April 2, 2009 at 10:48 am

We have had Novatime system for the past 2 years & it has worked well for us. There are several options/modules that can be purchased & it can transfer time/data into compatable payroll systems.

Delores March 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I too found ADP’s ezlaborMgr to be very effective and I used it in the retail environment for tracking of PT & FT staff located in several different stores.

Heather February 25, 2009 at 10:54 am

We use Novatime which can be used with swipe cards, pc’s or hand reader. We use the hand reader & it works well. The data can be imported into many payroll systems.

texas January 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Associated Time (Time & Attendance) has a PC Browser clock
in – log in we use here is last 4 digits of SSN and password is
the employee ID in our payroll system.
I hope this helps

Sue December 3, 2008 at 3:45 pm

We have approx 450 employees at over a dozen locations in 4 states. We wanted to go to an internet based payroll system in order to have access and administer all locations info online. When we switched our payroll provider we also switched our timeclocks from swipe cards to Biometric. We are currently using http://www.Peoplenet.com timeclocks and they provide us with a website to login at to view timecards and fix any missing punches. I have administrative privileges so I can view all locations easily which is also helpful in ongoing training or resolving problems. And if a manager is off on vacation or sick I can also access the timecards to keep everything current. Peoplenet support is very helpful, we lease timeclocks so if any stop working they are replaced very quickly at no charge. They invoice monthly, each location is billed separately, the cost is reasonable, and varies according to number of employees.

Jackie November 26, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Our compoany uses Dimensions, 303-323-8392. This system is more than a time clock but that is one component and it may be available separately.

B Smith November 26, 2008 at 11:53 am

We have been using Time Clock Plus since 2005. Compared to the old manual system we used before – it’s wonderful. It does have a few things I don’t care for. For example, If an employee loses their swipe card the cost of replacing their particular card is more than reasonable. I wish it had certain features that it does not so I suggest that you really evaluate what you need in a system before you make the purchase. Make a list of what you want, what you need, and what you absolutely can not do without and then compare it to what the system offers. I was happy that I decided to purchase the model that took either a card or a number because employees can use either feature. Our office staff clock in at their computers while the plant uses the actual time clock. The initial cost was very reasonable. They have worked great despite the dusty environment they are in and I love it when I can see from my computer who is punched in and who is not. Their customer service is outstanding and as I said the product is reliable. Just make sure it has all the features you need before the investment.

Chris November 26, 2008 at 11:14 am

Legiant all the way! We have some challenging rules and they handle them no problem. Customer support rocks too. No call centers like our last vendor just quick reliable help.

Tim Taylor November 26, 2008 at 10:42 am

We use TimeClockOnline. This works great for us because we have field service personnel. They can clock in/out anywhere they have an internet connection. The cost is quite reasonable.

Tyler November 26, 2008 at 9:36 am
Barb November 25, 2008 at 7:53 pm

We use TimeForce from qquest. It works well and is fairly inexpensive to implement. About $1,500 total for implementation and licensing for all employees and supervisors for an office of 35 employees.

In my previous employement we used INFOTRONICS and I liked it much better.

KATHY November 25, 2008 at 6:18 pm

WE USE VIRTUAL TIME CLOCK AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!WE HAVE SEVERAL LOCATIONS AND I CAN SEE WHO IS IN AT WHAT TIME ETC. CHECK IT OUT.

Daniel November 25, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Based on your company size I would recommend Legiant. We are not much larger than your organization and have been using Legiant for just over a year now after switching from another system. We had a few unique pay rules that other systems were not able to handle. Plus they have an online demo on their website so you can get a feel for how their system works, and even test it out for free. Definitely worth looking into.

Pam November 25, 2008 at 4:39 pm

We’ve also been using TimeClockPlus since 2004, and we’re pleased. We work with approximately 200 temporary agents per day, sometimes from 4 or more different staffing firms. TCP allows us to send payroll reports to each firm easily and accurately.

Their support staff is wonderful, and I’ve actually enjoyed working with their sales staff. Just a very nice group of people from start to finish!

Becky November 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm

We use Timetrax and love it.

Gary Walter November 25, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Kronos

Judi Didway November 20, 2008 at 8:08 am

I love TimeTrax. It interfaces with quickbooks and is user friendly.

Mary November 19, 2008 at 11:40 am

We use Time Clock Plus as well. The initial investment as stated above has been offset by how much it improved running payroll. We have had it less than one year. Even the employees like it.

Cindy November 19, 2008 at 8:57 am

TimeClock Plus has worked awesome for us for about three years. We are not nearly as large as your company but the features to service that size are there. It was about $1400 initial investment which included one year of free support. Of course that’s for 75-100 employees. But the support staff was great and we have only had to call them three times over the last two years. Two of those calls were actually because of total computer failure and we had to reinstall.

Catherine November 19, 2008 at 7:46 am

At my previous job we began implementing Autotime. The training is extensive and Kaba-Benzing was very helpful making the transition smooth. http://www.kaba-benzing-usa.com/autotime-group/autotime-group.html

Barb November 18, 2008 at 6:30 pm

We use Payroll Specialties, NW, which is a full payroll service provider. http://psnw.us/

Amy November 18, 2008 at 5:33 pm

We actually use ADP’s ezlaborManager timesheet system. It is wonderful, very cost effective and web based so people can access it from anywhere.

Jeanine November 18, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Corporate has all of their plants using TimeCentre.

jayleen November 18, 2008 at 5:08 pm

http://www.timeforce.com – they also process the payroll

Casey November 18, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Check out http://www.iemployee.com. Easy to use and inexpensive.