The beginning of the school year finds many anxious parents needing to take some time off from work to deal with school issues.
Heads up: The www.theHRSpecialist.com/shortleavelaws.)doesn’t cover employees who take time off for school visits or to care for kids who aren’t seriously ill but who must stay home from school. That’s the province of state laws. (For a summary of state short-term leave statutes, see
Note: In most cases, employees who need to attend school activities can use accrued paid leave.
- Sick employee wants less overtime? Consider that a request for intermittent FMLA leave
- Can employees agree to waive their FMLA rights?
- Create an anti-discrimination action plan now
- Good record-keeping, constant contact are key to successful FMLA administration
- Avoid FMLA suit: Cut slack for leave-takers