The beginning of the school year finds many anxious parents needing to take some time off from work to deal with school issues.
Heads up: The www.theHRSpecialist.com/shortleavelaws.)doesn’t cover employees who take time off for school visits or to care for kids who aren’t seriously ill but who must stay home from school. That’s the province of state laws. (For a summary of state short-term leave statutes, see
Note: In most cases, employees who need to attend school activities can use accrued paid leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Give staff at least 15 days to obtain FMLA certification
- Negative comments about FMLA use? Call your lawyer because you will be sued
- You may have to agree to part-time schedule after employee returns from FMLA leave
- FMLA in the trenches: 10 tactics to wipe out fraud and abuse