The beginning of the school year finds many anxious parents needing to take some time off from work to deal with school issues.
Heads up: The www.theHRSpecialist.com/shortleavelaws.)doesn’t cover employees who take time off for school visits or to care for kids who aren’t seriously ill but who must stay home from school. That’s the province of state laws. (For a summary of state short-term leave statutes, see
Note: In most cases, employees who need to attend school activities can use accrued paid leave.
- When FMLA and ADA could be factors, consider both laws before denying return to work
- OK to demand proof of full health after FMLA
- FMLA isn't 'discipline shield': Fire for unrelated actions
- Don't factor in FMLA when making RIF list
- Stay on top of FMLA recertifications—Track when employees receive your requests