A woman who claims the Wood County Sheriff’s Office rescinded a job offer is suing the county, alleging it discriminated against her because of her age and disability. Debra Ramey is a 50-year-old breast cancer survivor who claims the office hired a younger, nondisabled applicant after it had already told Ramey the job was hers.
Ramey claims the county violated the ADA and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act when it refused to hire her. The EEOC issued Ramey a “right to sue” letter following an investigation that found evidence of discrimination. She is seeking $25,000 in damages.
The county maintains it rescinded the offer after arevealed Ramey had a criminal record and had once tried to commit suicide. Ramey denies both charges.
Ramey claims the person hired has no experience in the position—and also has a criminal record.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Workplace in turmoil? Here's how to know where to start cleaning house
- Offering settlement or severance? Don't forget special ADEA rules
- Respond vigorously to anonymous harassment
- What will you decide: keep or drop employee health benefits?