Employees of Etowah County, Ala., can sell back one or two weeks of unused vacation time at the end of most years.
The decade-old policy allows the buyback when the county has available funds. This year, it doesn't. But last year, says HR Director Mike Naugher, nearly 80 percent of the county's employees sold back up to 40 hours of unused leave.
County employees accrue vacation time quickly: 10 days their first year and more after that. Vacation time rolls over up to 500 hours. Some employees earn comp time that they can use instead of spending their vacation days.
Contact: Mike Naugher, HR director, Etowah County, Ala., (256) 549-5393.
- Private concerts keep employees coming back for more
- When an abusive supervisor is equally intolerable to everyone, is it harassment?
- Management Circa 1943: Is Your Workplace Still Stuck There?
- Limit attacks on purging records with a clear retention policy
- Choosing employees for promotion: a 6-step legal process