Want employees to take less sick leave? Consider letting them volunteer on company time.
Research by the London-based CSV Make a Difference Day and Barclays report that 42 percent of companies believe giving time off for volunteer work reduces absence rates. And 92 percent of employees said they prefer to work for a company that has an active volunteer program for employees.
In fact, 42 percent said they are less likely to leave a company that encourages employees to volunteer.
- Denying leave may be legal, but unwise, for small firms
- Does the FMLA grant leave for foreign adoptions?
- During an interview, can employers ask about ability to comply with attendance rules?
- Know what qualifies as a legitimate reason to take FMLA leave
- Update job descriptions regularly to include new duties & essential functions