Work/life professionals who staff the Workplace Options UnionSelect call center in Michigan have a special understanding of the unionized employees on the other end of the phone who are seeking help with child and elder care. Reason: They both belong to the same union.
The 25 employees of the 10-year-old call center joined the UAW about five years ago. The call center employees refer callers to community groups, plus they visit employees of three Michigan automakers at their workplaces.
Mary Ellen Gornick, Workplace Options' senior vice president for union services, says the 400,000 employees who use the center appreciate dealing with fellow union members. In return, the consultants appreciate the callers, she adds.
Contact: Mary Ellen Gornick at (800) 952-3586.
- DOL issues new FMLA poster: Get your free copy here
- Can you muzzle employees who compare their paychecks?
- Use hotline to receive employee complaints, prove when litigation clock started ticking
- Know your union posting requirements under Executive Order 13496
- Lilly and Carlos: Questions and answers on the Ledbetter Act's unintended consequences