Work/life professionals who staff the Workplace Options UnionSelect call center in Michigan have a special understanding of the unionized employees on the other end of the phone who are seeking help with child and elder care. Reason: They both belong to the same union.
The 25 employees of the 10-year-old call center joined the UAW about five years ago. The call center employees refer callers to community groups, plus they visit employees of three Michigan automakers at their workplaces.
Mary Ellen Gornick, Workplace Options' senior vice president for union services, says the 400,000 employees who use the center appreciate dealing with fellow union members. In return, the consultants appreciate the callers, she adds.
Contact: Mary Ellen Gornick at (800) 952-3586.
- DOL wants feedback on proposed worker classification survey
- Fired after cancer diagnosis, Nacogdoches bus driver sues
- Supreme Court will address key employment law cases this term
- As union eyes our workforce, what should we do about its request for pay information?
- Evaluating employee performance without creating legal liability