How do great leaders beat ’em? They:
- Stay focused directly on their customers, not on the competition
- Keep competitors within their peripheral vision
- Train employees and structure programs so that leaders at all levels can solve customers’ most vexing problems
- Study competitors … but not too much
- Satisfy customers better than before and better than the competition.
— Adapted from Common Purpose: How Great Leaders Get Organizations to Achieve the Extraordinary, Joel Kurtzman, Jossey-Bass.