The IRS issued a fact sheet this summer to remind employers to correctly classify workers as either independent contractors or employees. (IRS FS-2006-21) The main factor: control.
The more control you have over the "when, where and how" that workers perform their jobs, the more likely that they'll be common-law employees for which you must withhold and pay federal taxes. Misclassification can lead to big-time back taxes and penalties ...
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Brooklyn Park, Minn. mulls statute requiring paid parental leave
- May we legally restrict when employees can take small amounts of vacation time?
- How do the new Illinois Equal Pay Act rules affect my record-keeping obligations?
- Is there any hidden obligation to give raises?