The IRS issued a fact sheet this summer to remind employers to correctly classify workers as either independent contractors or employees. (IRS FS-2006-21) The main factor: control.
The more control you have over the "when, where and how" that workers perform their jobs, the more likely that they'll be common-law employees for which you must withhold and pay federal taxes. Misclassification can lead to big-time back taxes and penalties ...
- Federal minimum wage to top Florida's $7.21 on July 24
- Georgia Workers' Compensation Act
- Commuting injury not covered by workers' compensation unless the route is hazardous
- Provide wage statements to all employees--even if they can't give a Social Security number
- Sports apparel firm pushes fitness, team spirit