The IRS issued a fact sheet this summer to remind employers to correctly classify workers as either independent contractors or employees. (IRS FS-2006-21) The main factor: control.
The more control you have over the "when, where and how" that workers perform their jobs, the more likely that they'll be common-law employees for which you must withhold and pay federal taxes. Misclassification can lead to big-time back taxes and penalties ...
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Balance the pluses and minuses of switching to PTO banks
- OK to take your time probing misconduct--that won't affect unemployment claim
- Independent contractor or employee? How to make the call
- What are the rules for compensating nonexempts for overnight travel?