The IRS issued a fact sheet this summer to remind employers to correctly classify workers as either independent contractors or employees. (IRS FS-2006-21) The main factor: control.
The more control you have over the "when, where and how" that workers perform their jobs, the more likely that they'll be common-law employees for which you must withhold and pay federal taxes. Misclassification can lead to big-time back taxes and penalties ...
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Lawsuits on the rise: Audit your policies to prevent litigation
- Charging employees for uniforms
- Immigration: Know Your 'Border Guard' Responsibilities
- HR as mobsters: Supreme Court lets workers use organized-Crime law to sue their employers