Issue: When it comes to skills building, many HR specialists think only about the Society for Human Resource(SHRM).
Risk: SHRM is a great source, but HR pros shouldn't drink all of their HR knowledge from the same well.
Action: Tap into other national and regional organizations that can improve your HR skills and credentials.
You probably look to SHRM, the preeminent HR organization, for your training, education and certification needs. But don't depend on SHRM alone.
Many other organizations in HR and related fields offer a range of seminars, certifications and practical advice. Here are some national options:
1. International Association for Human Resource Information Management (www.ihrim.org) specializes in educating HR on technology solutions. It holds an annual conference and exposition, plus education courses on HRIM systems. Membership: $215.
2. Employers Council on Flexible Compens...(register to read more)
- Guard against these 6 leadership threats
- Use your Internet policy to justify terminating potentially dangerous employee
- Ask the experts: How to be a true HR leader
- Age difference of six years or less destroys employee's age-bias claim.
- Can we terminate now an employee who we know can't return from FMLA leave?