• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Self-employeds have room to move

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. I’m currently self-employed. Can I deduct moving expenses if I relocate to a warmer climate? N.V., Bristol, Conn.

A. It depends. Deductions are allowed only for job-related moves that meet two tests: (1) The new job location must be at least 50 miles farther away from your old primary residence than your old job was; and (2) as a self-employed individual, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months after you arrive in the area. In contrast, employees must meet the 39-week part of the second test, but not the 78-week part.

Tip: Self-employed business owners who meet the stricter requirements can deduct their moving costs, even if the move is for personal reasons like a desire for warmer weather. 

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/17440/self-employeds-have-room-to-move "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment