• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Gulf oil spill: Are payments for lost business income taxable?

by on
in Small Business Tax

The IRS has posted answers to some frequently asked questions about taxes relating to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Key point: Any payments received for lost business income or profits are subject to tax because the funds are replacing income that would otherwise be taxable. Similarly, if you’re self-employed, you will also owe self-employment tax on business income replacements.

However, generally, no income tax withholding or FICA is due on replacement wages unless the employer or its agent makes the payments.

For more information on this topic, read the complete IRS posting at www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=224886,00.html, or call the special IRS hot line set up for oil spill questions at (866) 562-5227.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/16805/gulf-oil-spill-are-payments-for-lost-business-income-taxable "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment