Tax aspects for residents of Puerto Rico — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Tax aspects for residents of Puerto Rico

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. I am moving to Puerto Rico permanently, but will retain my U.S. citizenship. Do I have to pay U.S. income tax on my wages? Y.S., Albany, N.Y.

A. It depends. A U.S. citizen who resides in Puerto Rico full time can exclude tax on wages received from employment in Puerto Rico. If the citizen moves after being a Puerto Rican resident for at least two years, a partial exclusion is available. However, you still must pay U.S. income tax on wages received for services rendered as a U.S. employee.  

Tip: If the exclusion applies, you generally can’t claim any tax credit or deduction attributable to the amount of the excluded income.   


Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: