Here are five questions you should have each team member ask when offering criticism to a teammate’s suggestion.
1. Am I using loaded words? You may think someone’s idea is ridiculous, but don’t say so.
2. Am I sticking to the point? A conflict that draws in diverse issues becomes harder to resolve.
3. Am I looking at the issue from my teammate’s perspective?
4. Did I write down the main points made by both sides? Seeing arguments in black and white is a good first step toward constructive resolution.
5. Are there other possibilities? Don’t become so involved in arguing about two sides of an issue that you ignore additional alternatives.