Each summer, the annual Society for Human Resource(SHRM) conference brings together the largest gathering of HR professionals under one roof. Here are a few bits of wisdom picked up at this year’s event in Las Vegas:
Eliminate ‘jerk bosses’ and 4 more retention tactics
“When you’re talking about high turnover, you’re talking about departments that have jerk bosses that employees don’t trust,” said Richard Finnegan, author of Rethinking Retention in Good Times and Bad. “Trust is about behaviors, not character.”
Finnegan’s top retention tactics: (1) create monthly turnover reports that include supervisors’ names; (2) put retention goals in managers’; (3) create realistic job previews so candidates can “see, hear, smell and taste” what the job will be like; and (4) implement flexible schedules, which studies show help increase retention.
Branson: Don’t put employees in job boxes
Keynote speaker ...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Changing an employee's duties may require changing his FLSA classification
- Downsized Work Force, Supersized Liability: The Legal Risks of Layoffs
- HR Groups Rally Around Legislation to Create New Electronic Verification System
- Choose top training videos with the aid of online 'critics'