Q. Does asking independent contractors to complete a time sheet jeopardize their contractor status?
A. You are right to worry about this. Evaluating whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee depends on a number of factors. The more factors that point toward a worker being an employee, the more likely it is that the Department of Labor, the IRS, another agency or a court would find that the worker is misclassified as an independent contractor.
Asking an independent contractor to complete a time sheet can be a factor that makes a worker seem more like an employee, but by itself, it doesn’t prove an employer/employee relationship.
Nonetheless, it would be better for the independent contractor to send you monthly invoices for the services he or she performs.
- Lights, camera, contract! Actors unions weigh new agreement
- Are you a target for union organizing? 6 questions to ask
- Can you land in trouble for trying to stop harassment? Yes
- Work the ADA process when it isn't obvious an employee has a qualifying disability
- Send out employee benefit info electronically