A regional manager's decision to fire a mentally disabled janitor cost the Chuck E. Cheese's pizza chain plenty of dough. A jury awarded the janitor back pay and damages of more than $13 million.
That's the largest jury award the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has won in any case under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The EEOC says the company president and CEO apparently refused to take action after the local manager and staff, who supported the janitor, asked for intervention.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- NLRB nominees set for confirmation
- Use 'no-reapplication' clause to settle discrimination cases once and for all
- Serial sexual harasser on the loose? Get ready for big trial—and possibly huge judgment
- Exception covers some, not all, church staff