A regional manager's decision to fire a mentally disabled janitor cost the Chuck E. Cheese's pizza chain plenty of dough. A jury awarded the janitor back pay and damages of more than $13 million.
That's the largest jury award the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has won in any case under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The EEOC says the company president and CEO apparently refused to take action after the local manager and staff, who supported the janitor, asked for intervention.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Indianapolis company accused of breaking Muslim sharia law
- Don't hold previous disability suit against employee who later applies for new job
- Feds launch contractor crackdown, offer amnesty deal
- Track potential disciplinary problems as they occur