A regional manager's decision to fire a mentally disabled janitor cost the Chuck E. Cheese's pizza chain plenty of dough. A jury awarded the janitor back pay and damages of more than $13 million.
That's the largest jury award the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has won in any case under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The EEOC says the company president and CEO apparently refused to take action after the local manager and staff, who supported the janitor, asked for intervention.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Solid reasons for firing protect against retaliation charges
- Make it your policy: Mum's the word on military service
- Library cuts lead to bias suits, a new union and spiraling costs
- Time for a snap inspection: Make sure bulletin boards don't show signs of bias