One of the new features in the second edition of The Next Level is a series of sidebars called Coachable Moments. Each of these Moments offers a context specific, road tested coaching tip that you can use to increase your leadership effectiveness or that of leaders you’re coaching.
One of my favorite Coachable Moments from the chapter on picking up defining what to do and letting go of telling how to do it is one I call the 20/80 Analysis. Here’s how it works:
Raise the capacity of yourself and your team by shifting your time and attention to focus on what you need to accomplish for future success. Write down your answers to these questions and share them in a conversation with your team:
1. What will things look like twelve months from now if we’re completely successful?
2. What are the 20 percent of the things that I need to be spending 80 percent of my time and attention on to create that future state?
3. What are the 20 percent of the things that I have been spending 80 percent of my time on?
4. What’s on the list from question 3 that I need to let go of and have my team pick up?
5. What will my team need to let go of to create the bandwidth to pick up the things I’m turning over to them?
Give it a try and let me know what it does for you and your team.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/16015/coachable-moment-the-2080-analysis "
- Ken Blanchard and Chick-fil-A's Mark Miller, on What It Takes to Grow as a Leader
- The Leader’s Pocket Checklist for Holiday Office Parties
- Three Things You Should and Shouldn’t Expect From Your Coach
- What Coaches (and that means you) Can Learn from “The King’s Speech”
- A Few Tips for USAID’s Rajiv Shah and Anyone Else Leading a Turnaround