If your company operates in several locations, make sure you're complying with every city and state law. And check your, too. It may need to be tailored to individual states where you do business.
Example: A jury awarded nearly $1.2 million to an Aetna account representative who was fired after refusing to sign a noncompete agreement in California, which doesn't enforce such agreements.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Warn bosses: Do nothing that discourages FMLA leave or punishes those who take it
- If you lose an employment lawsuit, how much will you pay?
- When harassment allegations surface, launch comprehensive investigation right away
- The HR I.Q. Test: June '11