Take workplace graffiti seriously, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) does.
Foster Wheeler Constructors Inc. recently agreed to pay a $1.32 million settlement for racial and sexual harassment claims that included graffiti left on the walls of portable toilets at a site in Robbins, Ill. An EEOC attorney said the case challenged a persistent problem of harassing graffiti in the construction industry.
- Give managers a 3-phrase script to respond to harassment complaints
- Pay attention to rising complaints of 'same-race' bias
- Track declining productivity to justify staffing, pay and promotion decisions
- How to ward off some class-action pay-bias suits: Grant managers limited discretion to set pay
- Beware personal liability for COBRA, FMLA, state bias law