In the meantime, I thought I’d share with you the top 10 to-do’s for leaders that he offered at the end of his two hour segment. (These are paraphrased based on my notes.) It’s unlikely that all ten will resonate with you, but my guess is that you (like me) will find at least two or three that hit home. Here they are:
- Download the free Good to Great diagnostic tool from JimCollins.com and use it as the basis for assessment, conversation and planning with your team.
- Answer these questions for your organization: What are the key seats on our bus and are those seats filled with the right people?
- Establish a personal board of directors for yourself. When you create your board, choose the members based on their characters, not their accomplishments.
- Get young people (i.e. Gen Y’s) – the right ones – in your face.
- Turn off your gadgets and create some regular white space for thinking.
- Build a leadership council for your organization to engage in dialogue, debate and disagreement.
- Check in on your questions to statements ratio and set a goal of doubling it in the next year. An early mentor to Collins observed that he seemed to be more interested in being interesting than being interested. That’s what caused Collins to focus on his own questions to statements ratio.
- Start working on your stop doing list. (A good reason not to start trying to do all ten of these tips at once.)
- Make sure that the core values and purpose of your organization are established early. It will be too late to do so when the tough times inevitably come.
- Set your BHAG’s (Collins’ acronym for Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals) 10 to 15 years out based on your experience to date.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/15852/jim-collins-top-10-to-dos-for-leaders "