If your pension plan can be misinterpreted, make sure you tell beneficiaries how you interpret it.
A federal appeals court let a worker sue who says he lost out on increased pension benefits because of the way the company interpreted its policy. He thought his disability leave counted as continuous service, but the company said only those receiving workers'were covered by the exemption for "compensable disability incurred during course of employment." (Harte v. Bethlehem Steel Corp., 98-2052, 3rd Cir., 2000)
- In California, raise arbitration issue before administrative hearing on unpaid wages
- Never consider insurance costs when terminating
- HIPAA Rules Aren't Just For Doctors and Hospitals
- What's a 'grandfathered' health plan? Feds release new rules
- Survey: Workers hate health care 'System,' but they love their health plans