Money isn’t everything…how can I change career paths?

Question: “I'm an EA to a CEO and office manager. Although I get paid well ($85,000/year with nice bonuses and generous company shares), I want to work in another field, such as producing. (Ultimately, we are the producers!) How can I start working in this career path, besides volunteering?” —Sandy

See Comments Below.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/15621/money-isnt-everythinghow-can-i-change-career-paths "

Admin123 July 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Research it and make sure it’s something you have a passion for, money isn’t everything, you have to really love what you do. Life is about taking chances and if you’re going to do that, make sure it’s a passion, not today’s craving.

Gloria July 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Here is another article from the same site. She has lots of good info. She’s a Life Coach. Some info overlap.

You’ll have to look for the blog post on July 11, 2011 called Implement Your Decision Making Skills Outside the Office.

The article I shared with you in my prior post is called How to Plan a Career Change.

Gloria July 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I shared the below link on a professional blog in my firm. It’s an article that applies to everyone who is planning a career change.

Changes were made to the article since it was first published. Originally, the first section discussed assessing your motives for why you want this change. Sometimes we move to another position only to find ourselves in the same unhappy situation. We might really need to challenge ourselves more or take on new assignments…things of that sort. While in other instances, we might want to change directions in our career path or move to a higher level or do more of the work we enjoy. This part has been cut out.

The second section goes into broadening your knowledge, which I personally find most of the helpful info is.

The third section advises you to take it slowly and secure our finances while we face our impatience to move forward.

Hope it helps and the best of luck to you. I hope you transition into the position you want very soon. Good for you for making these changes. Not everyone does.

Maya July 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Haha Debra, you will have some competition, I’d like to apply as well :)!

Debra in Dallas July 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Let me know when you leave your $85,000 per year job. I’d like to apply.

Susan July 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Sandy, You're lucky you make such a great salary. That means you can probably afford some of the top-notch continuing education classes, online or in-person, &/or even a "summer intensive" where the coursework is condensed into work-like days/weekends for career-changers like you.
For producing, specifically, you should check out UCLA's and NYU's offerings … &/or GWU has an interesting certificate program in documentary making…but your local university probably offers some good options too.

You could go on a learning vacation, make contacts, complete real projects for university business partners and see how you love producing–or not. If you can pick something that relates to your current company's line of business, you might even get their full support (in time off & tuition) and could, for example, produce a corporate training video.
Go for it –while keeping your day job–and let us know how it turns out!

Diane Johnson-Hung July 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

When I’m fishing and after a particular type of fish, I look at what this fish likes and does. I apply that same sort of thing to a job hunt. I look at the job I want, find out all I can about the company/department that I can, and I even see if there is someone I can talk with from that department about my interest and ask for more information about what they do. You may like it even more after learning more, so you’d want to talk to someone about moving over there. You also may find that this would be the wrong thing to do.

Should you find you are truly interested and do not want to volunteer, see if you can fill in for someone. You’ll gain first-hand experience in small increments and increase your network in that area.