Office ergonomics: Where can I find narrow wrist rests?

Question: “An ergonomic consultant recommended a narrower wrist/palm rest for several staff members. Their current rest is about 2.5 inches wide. I am having a hard time finding a narrower one. Any suggestions?” — Peggie Frost

See Comments Below

Sydney June 8, 2009 at 11:24 am

Sometimes adjusting the tilt of your keyboard will help your wrist. If you put the keyboard flat…you will lesson the restriction of the blood flow. This plus using a wrist rest for the keyboard usually helps. Also, using a wrist rest for your mouse will help in the dominate hand/wrist. If you use a track ball…there are wrist rests for those, too.

Barb G June 5, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I agree with Lisa. If the consultant recommended a narrower one, surely s/he knows where to find one.

Lisa May 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I’d suggest asking your ergonomic consultant, since that’s the person that made the suggestion. I bet they have lots of information about products that are available.

Liza May 29, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I just wanted to say two things
First:
I’ve had tendonitis for over 2 years (I’m getting better!) and I don’t use a ‘wrist rest’. The bottom of my palms do sit on a rest at the bottom of my keyboard, but actually resting the wrist usually entails that the wrist is not straight when a person is typing. Keeping the wrist straight will usually solve any problems a person is having.

Second:
Microsoft makes a keyboard that is very ergonomic. I don’t know if you have room in your budget for it, but it has a spli keyboard that also elevates so the top of the keyboard is lower than the bottom of it. I use this and it has done wonders for me.

Min May 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I don’t have any suggestions for your question unfortunately. I just wonder how many of us read your question and immediately got out a ruler and measured our own wrist rest. Guilty!

Sydney May 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I am the ergonomic coordinator for our office and I use these…they are approx. 2″ wide and taper towards the ends.

Keyboard Wrist Rests – Office Max