How do I keep up morale in this economy?

Question: “I am an administrative assistant in a manufacturing setting. How do I keep up morale after finding out that our site is closing?” — Anonymous

See Comments Below

Judell May 5, 2009 at 10:36 am

Good answer! God is still in control even in rough times!

Karen May 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I would think the best thing to do is point your colleagues to places where they can get help in finding another job. Are there career centers or websites you can point them to? Is there free retraining or retraining counseling available locally? Find out what kinds of free local resources are out there and pass it along. Of course compassion and empathy go a long way to soothe the soul, but providing some practical help for people soon to be out of work would go a long way to improve morale.

Amanda April 29, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Our manager has implemented a Staff Satisfaction committee to work on improving morale. We also try to do fun activities every so often (trivia, guessing games based on information about staff, etc). If management is not concerned about morale to take it to the level of forming a committee, I suggest being vocal about why you are positive when staff approach you with negative comments (counting your blessings and looking on the bright side). I also challenge the “complainers” by asking them if they have taken their concerns to management or if they have tried to fix the situation. Some people just like to complain without seeking resolution. Keep in mind, though, that no matter what you do, everyone is responsible for their own attitude and their own morale. I struggle with this in my role so I know from experience, but always remember that it isn’t your responsibility to fix this.

DeeCee April 27, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I’m not sure it’s your responsibility to keep up morale, however, I think it’s admirable that you want to. Having a positive attitude should help. If others see that someone else is carrying on, standing strong, optimistic about the future and still has hope, that will probably help the situation, at least a little. If you can offer helpful or constructive advice about the future, that may help to change people’s focus from hopelessness and helplessness, to taking positive action for their futures. Positive reinforces positive, and negative reinforces negative. Choose a positive attitude for yourself. If others choose not to follow, that is their choice. Don’t carry that burden. It isn’t your’s.

Vijay Singh Rawat April 25, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Great advise, rightly said be positive and be organised.

Kathy April 24, 2009 at 5:10 pm

When my place of employment closed, the best thing I could do was listen to the employees. The employees were angry, frustrated, but mostly scared of the future. I made sure to get answers for every question, even if it took a little time. Hopefully your HR department is bringing in unemployment and displaced worker specialists to help them in the transition.
Make sure you refrain from negative comments about the company, and remind them of some of the positives when appropriate. But most of all, let them know that someone is listening.

Lisa April 24, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Listen with empathy, not sympathy-especially if you find yourself in the middle between the managers and the staff. Keep a positive outlook and maybe offer/assist/recommend managers write recommendation letters or referrals while there is time.

Don’t criticize the situation, be thankful for the experience you have gained from this one. We are all ready for this recession to be over.

Gloria April 24, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Surround yourself with positive people. Stop listening to all the bad stuff on the news. Pray, go to church and don’t give up. Dust yourself off and look for another position. You might be able to find some work where you can work from home.

Karen April 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I have found a job I liked even better after being out of work for 5 weeks! I kept my mind positive, knowing I would find a good job and I did! Every day I went to work on finding a job, I took lunch hours and quit my search at quitting time. Before my job ended I made sure I had all my friends contact information with concrete plans to stay in touch.