Want to improve your report presentation/graphic design skills?

Question: “I would like some additional training in report presentation and graphic design/layout. I type audit reports (Word and Excel), and I produce two newsletters (Microsoft Publisher). I would like to assist my bosses in better preparation and presentation of their audit reports (PowerPoint), as well as improve the look of the newsletters. Has anyone taken the career track graphic design/layout seminar or any other seminar? Any special software you can recommend?” — Diana Chase

See Comments Below

MRJ March 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Here’s an online free tutorial for Power Point that I’ve found useful. They offer for other Microsoft Programs as well. There are also links to various other tutorials – some free, some not. Enjoy!

Kim March 2, 2009 at 10:14 am

Diana, check your local professional’s group. For instance, if you’re an admin in an engineering or architectural firm, Society of Design Administrators has organizations across the country where admins and managers in these firms (primarily women) get together, participate in professional enhancement classes and share their skills, knowledge, etc. I’ve used PowerPoint in the workplace, church, and college and would be happy to share whatever I may have learned along the way.

Siu February 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

FYI,
The Pendaflex Learning Center program will no longer be available after March 14, 2009.

B N February 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

HP offers free online classes in a variety of topics. The classes change out periodically, but I’ve seen Excel classes on the list. http://h30240.www3.hp.com/

Diana February 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Actually it isn’t Microsoft programs that I want training in. I really want feedback on seminars, such as graphic design/layout, or PowerPoint Presentations from CareerTrack, Skillpath, etc. I would also like suggestions on software, such as Visio, Smart Draw, etc. Doesn’t anyone out there have any suggestions or experience with any of these things?

celt365 February 24, 2009 at 2:26 pm

FYI: The Pendaflex Learning center will no longer be available after March 14, 2009 according to the website. Bummer. This looks like a great resource!

Hilda Tesar February 20, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Check out http://www.pendaflexlearningcenter.com – they offer a variety of free online courses.

Jocelyn February 20, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Most community colleges have on-line courses for Microsoft Software programs. I have taken in the past one for all three of those you are talking about. Once completed they mail you a certificate of completion as well that you can keep. I would ask your employer to allow you to take those, they may even pay for it. You can usually print your classes also, that way if you have to refer back to something you learned you just go through that file.

Honestly the books for “dummies” work well to if you have a good body of knowledge but want to learn smaller specifics.