Secret solution to removing labels from folders? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Secret solution to removing labels from folders?

Question: “What do you use to easily remove old labels from file folders designated to be re-used?” — Karen Dow

See Comments Below

Jon May 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Ever heard of just being honest? If you don’t like the way things are done then just stop doing business with them.

Heather B March 4, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Avery makes removable file folder labels. Avery #8066 should be what you’re looking for. I’ve used them for years & they work really well.

Mary February 9, 2009 at 11:19 am

I just flip the folder inside out, and there I’d have a blank label section. If you choose, you can cover the old label, which will actually be on the backside after you flip it.

Another Anon February 6, 2009 at 2:38 pm

YOU GO ANON! A hairdryer……..how ridiculous!

Nancy February 6, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I reuse file folders all the time. I use the Avery removable labels which peel right off leaving no sticky residue. Saves a lot of folders!

ANON February 2, 2009 at 8:06 am

Ever heard of Avery REMOVABLE labels?!?

Beverly January 30, 2009 at 8:29 pm

If you just need to reuse a file and not for regular filing, I use a piece of colored paper 1/4 page in size and tape it over the whole tab (I call these files “junk files” and use them for my personal use at my desk. I can reuse and reuse these. If I know that I will be reusing a folder for regular filing I use removable file labels

Paige January 30, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Use a piece of packing tape; rub onto label with fingernail, then rip packing tape off. The label will come with it. Works well for removing pricetags from gifts, too.

Michelle January 30, 2009 at 1:37 pm

As with most labels, they have a glue backing. You can bring your hair dryer from home and heat them up a bit, then they will come right off. At least that is what works on items I purchase at the store with sticky labels or stickers on them…

Janet January 30, 2009 at 12:52 pm

In my workplace we buy an adhesive remover called “un-du Adhesive Remover.” It not only removes the label but you can even re-attach the label to something else. According to the package “The solution instantly neutralizes the adhesive temporarily and then quickly evaporates allowing you to reuse the sticker, label, or tape again.” In my experience, this really works!

Lisa January 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I just put the new label over the old. Why remove it?

Rhonda January 30, 2009 at 12:43 pm

In most manicure kits there is a tool that pushes back your cuticle. I use an old one of those. I can usually grab a corder and easily lift off the label from there. It is a trick I learned in removing shelf labels when I worked retail. If you have files that require freqent label changes consider the investment in a poly file. The labels are easily removed on those.

Barb G January 30, 2009 at 12:42 pm

If the label won’t rip off easily, I sometimes witeout the text so it doesn’t show through, and place a label over the old one.

Mary January 30, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I use white out tape and write over the old label or reapply a new labels. I can usually reuse the folder several times until too worn.

Colette Benson January 30, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I have taken an exacto knife and lightly cut around the old label, then lift it off. This is a very clean way for removing the old labels. Then I purchased removable labels to replace the old ones. Now it is very easy!

Stef January 30, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Finger nail polish remover

THOMAS January 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I’ve never went to the extreme of trying to remove old labels. The most efficient manner, less time and effort, if you have to use the same folders as a cost effective measure, is to just place a new label over the old one.