Developing a 'standard operating procedure'? Where to begin?

Question: “I have been in my position for 14 years. It has evolved tremendously, due in part to my suggestions for improvement, desire to be a team member, and dedication to the mission of our agency and to the four administrators I work for. I will be looking at retirement in a few years and would like to develop a “standard operating procedure” so that my successor (most likely from outside the agency) will have something to fall back on. Where and how do I begin? Are there any guides?”— Jean Shutts

Moderator, Alice Bumgarner: Wow! After admin Tawney offered to share sample pages from her Standard Operating Procedure manual, nearly 300 of you took her up on the offer. It's turned out to be such a wildly popular topic, we've created an easy way for you to download the sample SOP pages here.

Tawney told me that for her, creating the SOP manual was easy. "I like to write, and it was satisfying for me to get it done." For many admins, though, the biggest hurdle is simply starting. That's where sample pages can help: Lift the format and organizing style of Tawney's manual to jumpstart a project of your own.

See Comments below

Travis Richardson March 17, 2010 at 9:14 am

I am looking for a sample page of a task description, which is part of the procedures manual. I’d appreciate it so much, I’m trying to work on my businesses operating manual.

Dan Ehlers February 20, 2010 at 3:15 am

Hi Edith,
It would be great to make contact with you again. I would also be able to help you with SOP’s. You can contact me at daniel.ehlers@parmalat.co.za

Robin February 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Good Morning Tawny:
I am sure you have had enough requests but if you would not mind I would appreciate a copy of you SOP also. Thanks and I appreciate your time.
Robin

Baisang September 29, 2009 at 2:37 am

Hi Tawney

Karen Lambert July 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

Hello Tawney: May I have a copy of your sample as well please? mailto:Karen.Lambert@Glatfelter.com

Heather Montgomery March 26, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Please forward me a copy of your procedure manual sample.

Sheri Rauch March 5, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Hi Tawney
I, too, would also like a sample of your SOP. Thank you.

Joyce Lee March 4, 2009 at 3:20 am

Hi Tawney
I would also like a sample of your SOP. I have to create one and really don’t know where to start.

Bonnie Tigner March 3, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Please send me a copy of your S.O.P. manual. What a life-saver! Thanks so much.
Bonnie

Michael Smith February 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hi Tawney
Sounds like you will be very busy with the distribution of samples by the looks of all these requests (laugh). I too would greatly appreciate a sample of your S.O.P. The one that I started was in fact as detailed as what you suggested, however, my boss, who is often very vague with any of her explanations, cut large portions of my details out. She says that they don’t need to know all those details. Many of us here often end-up questioning a lot of her e-mails, as an example; of her “to-the-point” mentality which is taken to be very rude, abrupt and brash. I understand short and to-the-point communications to save time and reading but to what degree and she wonders why people get short with her or do not wish to be friendly with her. She doesn’t understand why, most have shared with me it is because of her writing and management style. As I said, we have started one and it would be helpful with other skilled suggestions to better improve what has been completed thus far. I, myself, am always open to more informative ways of making things easier and less complicated for everyone involved if I can.

Sheryl February 6, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Diana –

Any chance you would share your “style guides” for Word & Excel documents??

If so, please email to: SherylClark@yvmh.org

Thank you!

Debby January 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I’m retiring and would love to use your SOP in order to help my replacement. Thanks so much!

Marie January 20, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I cannot open the link for the procedure manual sample sheets. Could the site owner please update the link.

Eva January 14, 2009 at 6:00 pm

send me a copy of the procedure manual

Val January 9, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Hi Tawney
I would also like a sample of your SOP. I am in the process of creating one myself. Thanks my email address is val.hartzog@sprint.com.

Diane Koch January 9, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Tawney

If I could have a copy of your sample page, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Diane

Naomi January 9, 2009 at 10:29 am

Tawney,
I would love to create a SOP for my position as well. Could you please email me a sample please

Diana January 9, 2009 at 9:28 am

Wow, Tawney! Did you ever expect such a huge response? I would also like a sample of your SOP. At my place of work I created a “Style Guide” for our Word and Excel documents. For my duties, that is actually more beneficial. But I need SOP info for when I assist in other areas. My email is dchase@dlmcpa.com. Thank you so very much!

Rosemerry January 8, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Please forward a copy of your standard operating procedures to me. Thanks.

Rosemerry January 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Please send samples of your standard operating procedures to me. Thanks.

Bonnie January 8, 2009 at 10:24 am

HI Tawney,

Please send me a copy of your operating procedure manual my email address is bonnie.judge@omnitrans.org

Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Miller January 7, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Tawny,
Please send me a sample, too! Your resource will help hundreds of admins everywhere. My email address is pmiller601@comcast.net.
Thank you!

Jacque January 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Tawney, please share with me..address jwrigley@millikin.edu

Roxanne January 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thank you for sharing, please add me to your list to send.

Denise Billingham January 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Tawney, forgot to include my email. Sorry. napa_albany@genpt.com
Thanks again for sharing.

Denise Billingham January 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Tawney, I would love a copy also. Thanks

Bobbi January 7, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Hi Tawney,

Thank you for generously offering to share a sample page of your procedure manual. I would greatly appreciate looking at it. My email address is byasmer@baylisscpa.com
Thanks.

Bonnie January 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I too will be retiring in a few years. I’d love a sample of your procedure.
Thank you.

Theresa Davis January 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Tawney, I would love a copy also. I am new to this position and to have a starting point would be great.
Theresa
tdavis@oucc.in.gov

Gina Loya January 7, 2009 at 11:30 am

Me too! Thank you Tawney!

Heather B January 7, 2009 at 11:27 am

Please send me the sample page. We all appreciate your willingness to share.
heather_brown@waters.com

Tiziana Abate January 7, 2009 at 11:00 am

Hi Tawney,

Please send me a sample of your procddure manual. Thank-you

Kim S. Williams January 7, 2009 at 9:45 am

Hi Tawney,
I haven’t received anything yet and I want to be sure you do not go in to my junk mail. Could you please let me know the email address you will be sending it from so I can make sure you are not blocked.
Thank you. God bless you for this serice to all of us, the admins.

Idella January 7, 2009 at 9:40 am

Greetings Tawney!

I’m so sorry, I didn’t put my email address in the email so you could send me a copy of the procedure manual. It is:
idella.george@bakerhughes.com
Thank you so very much and enjoy your day!

Heather January 7, 2009 at 9:14 am

Tawney, if you don’t mind I would love to see your example. Thanks a bunch! – Heather
hhopkins@bushbros.com

Charlotte January 7, 2009 at 8:46 am

T – I would appreciate a copy of your manual. Thank you. CW

Anna January 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Hello Tawny:

Seems like you have a winner. Please add me to your list, I would love to have a sample page. Thank you.

Cindy Boulton January 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Tawney, I would love to see some samples of your manual. My email address is: Cindy-Boulton@tx.rr.com

Thanks!

Tracey January 6, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Please send me the sample page too. Thank you. lundquit@yahoo.com

Anna January 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I’d appreciate a copy, also. Thanks!

Bonnie January 6, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Please send me the sample page. Thanks a bunch.
bonnieg.0905@yahoo.com

Tina January 6, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Twaney, I would like to have the sample of your procedure manual page. Thank you.
tallen@toothmanrice.com

Leslie January 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Hi Tawny, can you please add me to your list to receive the sample? Thanks!

leslie.weaver@pgnmail.com

Kathy January 6, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Tawny,
I would love to have a copy of your procedure manual. Thank you for being willing to share.

Monica January 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I created a desk manual for the admins in my department. I have 3 different work groups and divided it into different sections (one for each work group). I also included cheat sheets that I collected (time card entries, how to search the document management system, etc). I also assisted my director in our Strategic Plan and had created work flow charts for each work group and included the work flow charts in there as well.

When I was done with the manual, I pdf’d it and uploaded it onto our intranet. That way when i make changes (updates) I don’t have to print out a bunch of copies – i just send out an email with a link to the intranet just to give a heads up that a change was made.

I did create a table of contents in the PDF document so you can click within the TOC and it takes you straight to that section without having to scroll through the entire document. It did take about a year to compile everything but it was well worth it!

Karen January 6, 2009 at 11:30 am

I would love a copy of this too. Thanks for sharing.
kkosmoski@knoxbox.com

Kathy January 6, 2009 at 11:29 am

Hey Genevieve,
If you update your manual quarterly, how do you deal with getting the updates to your co-workers in the office? Do you print the updates only and distribute them, or do you re-print the entire manual each time?
Thanks,
Kathy

Joy January 6, 2009 at 10:34 am

Please send me your sample SOP at joy.smothers@mckee.com. Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

Shannon January 6, 2009 at 10:30 am

Wow! I can’t tell you how helpful this would be! I inherited a nightmare of a procedure manual and most manuals at my place of employment are viewed as a joke. I would love to have one that is “a cut above” AND actually useful. Could you please send me a copy of your sample page? Thanks SO much! farrellsl@herkimer.edu

Saundra Sweeney January 6, 2009 at 9:19 am

Tawny,
I’m just finding and responding to your offer almost four weeks later. Obviously, this topic is of great interest to many of us admins. I appreciate your kind offer of a sample page.

Patti January 6, 2009 at 8:55 am

Please send me your samples for your SOP. My email address is: pdietrich@fcci-group.com. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!

Patti January 6, 2009 at 8:55 am

Genevieve January 6, 2009 at 8:11 am

I created a procedure manual for my position within the first year of employment at my current position. I have been in the secretarial workforce for 43 years and knew this was an invaluable tool. I shared my manual with other department secretaries and many have revamped it to suit their specific duties. I update it quarterly, as needed. My manager receives updated copies and he says it helps him identify my responsibilities. He refers to this when completing my yearly job evaluation.

Cindy January 6, 2009 at 8:05 am

Tawney, I recently started in the position of executive secretary at Harrisburg Area Community College’s Lancaster Campus. When I started the person who had held the position before me was gone and there was no “manual” or training for me. Could you please share your sample procedure manual with me so that this kind of thing does not happen to the next person who takes this position?

Thanks!

Connie Lemberger January 5, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Hi Tawny,
I would very much like to join the crowd and request a copy of your manual.
Please email to clemberger@emq.org

Gabby January 5, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Happy New Year!
Please forward a sample to: gabriela.martinez@lacdc.org

thanks so much.

Patty January 5, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Hi Tawny, you seem to be getting a ton of requests for a sample copy of your procedures manual. How about if you were to post the page on a server, I think MSN OfficeLive has such a server available, and just give out the address? If that does not work out though, I would like a copy of the procedures manual, please send to baileypa03@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Stefanie January 5, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I would like a copy as well. Thank you so much for sharing, what a great help.

Issa January 5, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Hi Tawney, I’ve been trying to develop one myself for the last few months but I’m not sure where [or how] to start! Thanks for you help on this!

Connie January 5, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I would appreciate a copy of your standard operating procedure manual.
Thank you!

Bonnie January 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Thank you for sharing! I’d like to receive a copy of your sample page.

Sue January 5, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Tawney, I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind as to send a copy to me. shaberlen@jupitermed.com Thanks so much.

Khatun January 5, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Please send me a sample copy of the procedural manual. Thank you

RMoore January 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Tawny, thank you so much for your advice. I too would like a sample of your manual. Please email it to rmoore@joyceengineering.com. Thank you again.

Frances Falconer January 5, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Please forward a sample – I’d love to get started on a procedure manual!

Consuelo January 5, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Tawney,

I would greatly appreciate a sample as well.

cromo@mswft.com

BJ Carroll January 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I too would like to see a copy. Thank you!

Edith Backman January 5, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hi Tawney,
It would be great if you could share your sample page with me.
Thanks,
Edith

Wanda Ervin January 5, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Tawny,
I would appreciate a copy of your procedures manual samples. My email address is: ervinwl@wfu.edu.

Thanks!

Anon January 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’m in the process of updating my “desk book” for 2009. Please send a sample to twinkerbird1@yahoo.com.

Diane Plogger January 5, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I would also love to see a sample of your manual as I am in the process of writing one myself.
Thanks!
dianeplogger@gmail.com

Arleen Villapadierna January 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Those are great suggestions. Please email me samples of the SOPs. Thank you!

Sandra January 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I would really appreciate a sample of of your procedure manual.

Thank you!!

Bertie January 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Please send me your samples of anything you’re willing to share. If I’m duplicating this posting I apologize, but its because I’m having trouble making out the security codes…:-(.
Thanks Tawney!

Bertie January 5, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Please send me your sample page and index and anything else you’re willing to share.
Thank you Tawney!

Bertie January 5, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Tawney, I would love to see your sample page and index and anything else you’re willing to share. Thanks!

Jacqui January 5, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Ditto what Anda posted!
Please send sample to admin@aboutgrace.com.
Thank you so much!

Barbie January 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Tawney, Please send me a sample copy of your procedure manual. Thank you so much, bwright@tmcc.edu

Carmen January 5, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hello Tawney. I would really appreciate a sample of your procedure manual. I have included that as a part of 2009 goals and don’t know where to begin. Thanks so much carmen.walker-young@wrigley.com

Linda January 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Tawny:
Please send me page samples of your procedure document. Thank you,
Linda
lindacastleman07@gmail.com

Anda January 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Wow, Tawney, I am stunned at the responses you’ve received! I wonder if the Moderator would be able to post a copy of your manual to this thread so people could download it. Either way, I’m in the process of starting a procedures manual myself and would love to see your template if you’re not sick of sending it out. My email address is anda.veverbrants at novartis.com Thanks so much, and I hope you had a great vacation!!!

Marilyn Beebe January 5, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Tawny,

Like most of us, I’ve started writing down processes and procedures and would love to have a copy of the document you use. Any suggestions that will make the process easier will also be appreciated.

Carrie Callahan January 5, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I would love to have a copy of your sample procedures manual.

Thanks.
Carrie
callahanc@iecc.edu

Susan Dix January 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Thanks, Tawney for offering this. I do have an SOP but would like to compare it with yours. I would like a copy of yours. sdix@douglasshaw.com

Tova January 5, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Oh, thank you so much for sharing. I hope this isn’t too much of a burden for you. Please send sample to: tova_legalasst@gbis.com

Tracy January 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing, please send me a sample…my e-mail is tracy.grube@rasmithnational.com

Judy January 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

I would love a sample copy as well. I have started putting some things together but could use the help in finishing the project. Thanks for being willing to share.

Eileen January 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

Tawney,

Please send a sample copy of your procedure manual to corder@xavier.edu. Thank you!

Eileen

Debbie January 5, 2009 at 11:31 am

Hi Tawney,

I am new to my department where no such manual exists. Please send me a copy of your operating procedure manual. Please send me a copy for review and ideas. My email address is dlsaaf@comcast.net.

Kind Regards,

Sandra Lachance January 5, 2009 at 11:30 am

I, too would like a copy. Pls send to movielover4@verizon.net

Nancy Gonzalez January 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

Tawney, thanks for offering samples of your procedure manual, I’d appreciate your help! My email is ngonzale@depaul.edu
thanks! Nancy

Christine Knapik January 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hi Tawney,

I would love a sample copy of your manual. I have been promoted and would like to have something for my replacement. thank you very much.

Christine – cknapik@healthation.com

Mary Rickert Lord January 5, 2009 at 11:12 am

i would love to see your sample. Thanks.

Doreen B. January 5, 2009 at 11:06 am

Tawney,

I would also like to have a sample of your procedure manual. Thanks!
You can send it to me at dleon@mdanderson.org
Thank you!

Freda January 5, 2009 at 10:59 am

please e-mail to me: fwitherspoon@aegonusa.com Thanks so much. :)

Cindy January 5, 2009 at 10:57 am

Tawney,
I would also like to have the sample sent to me. You can send it to me at coviatt@iowalakes.edu.
Thanks for taking the time to do this for us!

Linda Ford January 5, 2009 at 10:49 am

Please send me a sample of your procedure manual. Looks like you are going to make a lot of people happy. Thanks for sharing!

Janet January 5, 2009 at 10:45 am

Tawney,
I would also to have a sample of your procedure manual. Thanks!
You can send it to me at fernandj@asco.org
Again, thank you!

Anne January 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

Tawney — Could I you email me some samples?
Thanks. Question for you — How did you manage to create this in your workday?

Tawney January 5, 2009 at 10:31 am

I just got back from vacation, so don’t worry it I don’t get the sample to you right away – but I will email all who have left an email address.
Thanks!

Lynette January 5, 2009 at 10:31 am

If you can handle another request – please send me a sample of your procedure manual also at lynette@cues.org.

Carmen January 5, 2009 at 10:27 am

Thanks so much
carmen.walker-young@wrigley.com

Mandy January 5, 2009 at 10:27 am

I would love to have a copy of your sample page. Thanks.

Colby January 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

Tawney, I would have to have a sample of your procedure manual page. Thanks for sharing…and Happy New Year! Colby.Crim@tenethealth.com. Thanks, Colby

Melissa January 5, 2009 at 10:22 am

I would love a copy of your sample too. My email address is mkmullowney@bellhelicopter.textron.com.

Thank you!

Dee Miller January 5, 2009 at 10:22 am

Tawny, please send me a page from your administrative manual. My email address is dee_miller@aigag.com. I have started a manual but have not had an opportunity to finish it. I’m sure your suggestions will come in handy. Thanks.

Regina January 5, 2009 at 10:19 am

Greetings Tawny,
Could you please email me some samples of your procedure book. Your help is greatly appreciated

Carri Smith January 5, 2009 at 10:18 am

Tawney I would also love a copy of your sample page. thank you!! CarriSmith@westfieldgrp.com.

Patricia Pitts January 5, 2009 at 10:10 am

I would love to have a copy of some samples pages. Our procedure manual is out-of-date and it is on my “to-do” list. Please send to patriciap@stonebriar.org. Thanks

Idella January 5, 2009 at 10:08 am

Greetings Tawney!

I would really appreciate a sample page of your procedure manual. It seems to be exactly what I need. Thank you so much for sharing!

Crystal January 5, 2009 at 10:04 am

I have been trying to work on my own admin manual as well. I would welcome seeing a finished one. Thank you for your generosity.

Neil Jackson January 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

I would be grateful if you would share a copy of the sample you offered.

Crystal January 5, 2009 at 9:54 am

I would like a copy of the sample procedure manual. Thank you

Liz Chandler January 5, 2009 at 9:52 am

Tawney,
Please send me a copy of your sample page ~ lizchandler@clearchannel.com
Thank you & Happy New Year!
Liz

Mary Thorne January 5, 2009 at 9:46 am

Tawney,
I would also appreciate some sample copies of your procedure manual. Thanks!

Belinda Postula January 5, 2009 at 9:44 am

Tawney,
Our company has just reorganized the administrative assistants overall in how we support the groups and is now called BSO (Business Support Organization). Our group is beginning a manual for our group and I would like a copy of your sample to share with the rest of the team for ideas.

Yvonne C. January 5, 2009 at 9:43 am

I’m sure you’re overwhelmed with requests, but I would appreicate a copy also. Thank you. Please forward to : cunningham@fev-et.com

Yvonne

Shelba Mitchell January 5, 2009 at 9:42 am

I have developed my own manual, but would love to see where I might improve on it. Please send me your sample page.

Thank you so much.

Gayle January 5, 2009 at 9:29 am

Tawny,

Please send a sample of your procedure manual. Thank you very much

Lanita January 5, 2009 at 9:20 am

Yes, please send me a copy of your sample page. Thanks!

TBR January 5, 2009 at 9:18 am

Please send me a copy of your procedure manual

Maribeth January 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

Tawney, Please forward a copy of your procedure manual page. Thank you in advance! smithm@citrus.k12.fl.us

Kim S. Williams January 5, 2009 at 9:10 am

Tawney, Could you possibly add another email to your list? Kim.Williams@MBAActuaries.com. I am a one woman office, and if anything happens to me, I would hate to see what would happen. Someone would have to start from scratch. And that’s not right.

Jodi Smolek January 5, 2009 at 9:09 am

Tawney,
I too would like a copy of your sample procedure manual. Thank you for offering this to us. smolekj@umich.edu
Jodi

Liz Loizzo January 5, 2009 at 9:06 am

Thanks for the ideas, Kim.

Would you be willing to send a sample page or index.

Thanks!

Bonnie January 5, 2009 at 9:03 am

Tawney:
Please share a sample page from your procedure manual. Thanks much. bjchisum@marathonoil.com

Linda Goode January 5, 2009 at 8:56 am

Tawney, I would appreciate receiving a copy of your sample page. I am in the process of developing a manual for my position. My email is lgoode@gdhcm.com. Thank you in advance

Terry January 5, 2009 at 8:47 am

Please sent me a copy of your procedure manual.

Sandra January 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Please send a copy of your procedure manual. Thank you for sharing!

Shirley Virts January 5, 2009 at 8:36 am

Tawney, I would appreciate having a copy of your procedures manual. Thanks for sharing!

Lori January 5, 2009 at 8:28 am

Tawney – I am very interested in seeing your sample procedure manual. Please send to lhempel@olysteel.com Thank you, Lori

Char Riedl January 5, 2009 at 8:27 am

I would like a copy of your procedure manual as well. Thank you.

BJ Warner January 5, 2009 at 8:25 am

Please send me a sample of your procedure manual. I am looking forward to receiving it. Thanks!

Patty January 5, 2009 at 8:23 am

Hi – I would love a copy as well. Please send to patty.buckner@ontera.ca. Thank you so much.

Deanna January 5, 2009 at 8:20 am

I’ve recently started working on this project as well, and would love to have copies of what you’ve done. Thanks for your generosity!
DeannaAsh@jotar.com

Jacqueline January 5, 2009 at 8:13 am

This certainly is a hot request … please forward me a copy of your procedures manual to roxieham@yahoo.com.

God’s blessings to you and your future endeavors.

Jean Shutts January 5, 2009 at 8:07 am

I’d appreciate your sample page of a standard operation procedure. jshutts@newaygocmh.org

Joan Henry January 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

I would like a copy of your procedures manual. My email address is henryje@umich.edu. Thanks

Denise January 5, 2009 at 7:12 am

Hi Tawney,

If you could please send me a sample of your procedure manual, I would really appreciate it. My email address is Denise.Cormier@inspection.gc.ca

Thank you.

Thanks.

Marie Ostrout January 5, 2009 at 7:00 am

Please send a sample page. Thanks

Jane January 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

Hi Tawney,
Would appreciate if you can share your sample Procedure Manual with me.
Thanks,
Jane

Mary January 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Thank you for offering to share your format for a procedures manual. My email is mbventure748@yahoo.com.

Erin January 4, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I would love a copy of your SOP. My email is erin.bozeman@gmail.com

Christine January 4, 2009 at 5:37 pm

HI Tawney,
I would love a sample of your procedure manual. It is one of my goals this year to create one for my current position. Everyday things get overlooked and I too have co-workers who fill in for me for vacatins and such and there is always something missing…..

Belinda January 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Hi, I would also like to have your sample SOP manual. My email is bmarino@mooersco.com . Thanks so much!

Irene January 3, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Thank you for the generous offer. I would love a copy to start one of my own. Thanks again.

Denise Bafti January 3, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I’d love a copy of the format for a procedure manual!
denise.bafti@fmr.com

B Moses January 3, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Please send me a copy as well. I have a fairly extensive one I have started but I am updating it as well as changing the format. I’d love to see another way of organizing and explaining the information.

Sasha January 3, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Tawney,

Please email me your sample procedure manual to: sashajones74@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Sasha

Laura Brady January 3, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Tawney,
I would love to see a sample of your Standard Operating Procedure.

Sheri January 3, 2009 at 11:59 am

I would greatly appreciate having a sample of your procedure manual. I have been in the same company for many years and recently promoted. I did put together a task manual for her, but I’m interested how you did yours. Thank you….swatson@ci.killeen.tx.us (Sheri)

Jean January 3, 2009 at 11:44 am

I would love a copy as well. Not one admin at my office has one (including myself) and we really need one – it would have saved on phone call interruptions while I was on vacation! I have just not been sure how to start one. Thank you!
Jean
hckyst423@yahoo.com

Sue January 3, 2009 at 10:54 am

I would also love a sample copy. Thank you for your generous offer. slevandoski@ccwestmi.og

Be Durham January 3, 2009 at 2:00 am

I would appreciate a copy of your procedures manual.
Please email to badknd@hotmail.com

Maria V. January 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Thank you for the offer. I would like a copy of your manual.

SharRoh Brown January 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm

My name is Sharron and I would love to have a copy.

Julie H January 2, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Thanks so much for the offer. I would appreciate a copy too when you have a chance.
jhartmus@economymachine.com

Victoria January 2, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Hi Tawny,

Our goal this year is to complete a Procedures manual. I would love to have a copy of your manual. Thank you!

Patricia January 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Tawney,
Please send me a copy of your manual. My email is pwhitesel@gmail.com. Composing a Desk Reference manual is one of my goals for 2009.

Patricia

Cindy Hunt January 2, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Hi Tawny,
I would love a copy of your sample Standard Operating Procedures manual. You are an angel for offering this sample. My email is lucindah@nxt-afis.com. Thank you so much.

Cindy Hunt

Andy January 2, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Tawney,
I would appreciate getting a copy of your manual sample page. Thanks for sharing.
andyzapata@ymail.com

Venus Brown January 2, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Tawney, please send me a sample copy of your SOP manual. Thanks!

Janet Chandler January 2, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Tawney, Thank you for the offer! I would definitely like to get a sample. Many thanks! administrative@millenniummotorcars.com

Loretta Anderson January 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Tawney,
I would appreciate if you would send me a sample of your procedure manual. Sounds like you have done a great job.
Thanks in advance,

Sandy Ferderber January 2, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Tawny, I would love to get a sample of your SOP – I’m currently in the process of putting one together and would love to get some other ideas. Thanks!

Terri January 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Please send me a sample page from your procedures manual. My email address is terri204@mtco.com. Thanks for sharing!

Miche January 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Please send a sample of the SOP, thanks! sfocbilling@gmail.com

Deborah January 2, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Please send me a sample page from your procedures manual

Mary January 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Looks like you will be busy sending out examples of your manual….please include my name also. Thanks for sharing.

Pam January 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Tawny;

When you have a minute I would also like a sample. Please send to finleyrite@aol.com

Kathy January 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Please email me a copy of the procedure manual. thank you for sharing all your hard work.

Jenny Stephens January 2, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for making this available

Kareen January 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm

e-mail is kareous@regent.edu thanks!

Jody Scicluna January 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Hello Tawney

I am interested in the sample page also. Can you please email it to me as well? Thank you.

Kareen January 2, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Would love to see a sample or two of your procedure manual. I am continually starting a manual, but they either come out as way too basic, or I seem to get overwhelmed in all the details and end up not completing the project. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kareen

Maryellen January 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm

a sample is always helpful – maryellen.kenney@bnymellon.com

Sue January 2, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Please send me a copy of the procedure manual. I greatly appreciate it.

Marian January 2, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Thanks, Tawny for offering to share your template. Please send to me at access2marian@aol.com

Doug January 2, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Please send the copy of your SOP sample(s).

Thanks

Mary January 2, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I would also like a sample copy of the manual. Thanks!

Deanne January 2, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Please email me a copy of your sample procedure manual.

Doug January 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Please send a sample copy of your SOP (Tandard Operating Procedures)

Thanks

Sheryl January 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Kim,

Would you be willing to share all or portions of your procedure manual? It sounds very comprehensive and would be a great example to follow when creating a procedure manual for my office. Thank you.

Sheryl January 2, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Tawney,
Thank you for sharing your Procedure Manuel. I would greatly appreciate any and all samples you could send.

mary January 2, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Please send me your sop manual. we are writing sop’s for the office functions and I would love to have a guideline
thanks

Rosie January 2, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I would love to have a samply copy also. Thank you!
rosie.ross@att.net

Maureen January 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Please send a copy. Thanks!

Julie Hawbaker January 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I’m retiring in 6 months after 30 years+ and also want to leave a SOP. Can you email a copy. Thanks,–Julie

Valerie January 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Could you please send me a sample of your procedure manual? Thanks!

Valerie January 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I would like a copy of the procedural manual template.

karen martin January 2, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Tawney, I would like a copy of your manual thank-you

Martha January 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Would appreciate a copy of your manual. Thank you for sharing. mdeluca@wgyates.com

Martha January 2, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I would also like a copy of your manual. I have done something similar while working in the construction industry. Would appreciate any help I can get!

Idalia Nunez January 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Tawney,

Please send me a copy of your operating procedure manual my email address is idalianunez@hotmail.com

Bea January 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Tawney – I would like to see the sample too!

Trisha January 2, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I would love to see a sample page if you don’t mind. I have started to compile a manual but have been overwhelmed each time I try. It is alot of information.

Linda January 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Hi Tawney,

Thanks for the offer to share a sample page. Would you please send one to me?

Happy New Year!

Cynthia January 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Wow, we hit a hot topic. Maybe an article can be done on this. Tawny, if you don’t mind, please email me your manual. I will in turn email you some documents that might help you too.
csheeks@uakron.edu

Amy January 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Please send samples of procedure manual-soooo much appreciate your being willing to share.

vjohnson January 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Please forward me a sample pages of your procedural job manual as an aid for helping me create a manual for my current position.

Anne January 2, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I would appreciate a sample copy also. tai@leibkatt.com. Thank you.

Twila K. Yoder January 2, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Thank you, Tawny! Please send samples to pres_office@emu.edu

Barbara January 2, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for sharing your hard work. I appreciate your generosity.

Celeste January 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Tawny,
I’d like a sample copy of your manual as well. Thank you for sharing.
cfurlough@nwadmin.com

cfrazier January 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Tawney,

Please e-mail me a copy of the procedure manual. Thank you. (cfrazier@nibm.net)

Sharon Willis January 2, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I would appreciate a copy

Joann January 2, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Tawney,
Please send me a copy of your procedure manual. Thank you very much!

Brenda January 2, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Some samples would be great. I have started a procedures manual, but I’m not sure that it’s going in the right direction. I would sure appreciate your sharing.

Carole January 2, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Please send me a sample copy

Sandi January 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Just an add on thought for your manuals, especially when you are preparing a training guide or job aid for someone who needs to perform a task versus a policy manual which mostly is an overview of the function:

Make sure you have an intro as to what the task covers, tell the reader what they need to have onhand or what kind of access they need to perform the task, and then how to perform it. Don’t worry about how simple it may be to you, you are writing it for someone who does not do this as second nature.

Here is a sample of mine. I used a process called “Information Mapping” to format it. I learned this technique when I worked at the Home Depot Store Support Center. As far as I know this is a common technique, not a company that came and wrote for us.

POST RETIREMENT DEATH BENEFIT AND BENEFICIARY (S) IN SAP

Introduction

Gwinnett County provides DB pension plan participants with a Post Retirement Death Benefit. When a DB participant retires, they indicate on their retirement package their beneficiary choice for Primary and Contingent beneficiaries for this benefit.

It is a function of the Pension Tech associate to update the information in SAP in a timely manner from the effective date of retirement.

Before You Begin
You will need:
• Access to PA30 – Maintain H/R Master Data
• To set up Beneficiary in infotype 0021 (Family
Members/Dependents) if they are not already in SAP (See
Pension Services Desk Guide for instructions)
• To know the amount of death benefit retiree is eligible for
• The retirement package with designated beneficiary (s)
Process
Step Action
1 Login to SAP/R3 through your regular method.
2 Access PA30 – Maintain H/R Master Data.
3 Access the retiree’s information.
4 Select Infotype 0168 – Insurance Plans and create
a new record by clicking on the Create icon (the
blank sheet of paper). See Example 1.
5 Click on the options button under Benefit Plan.
6 Select PDB2 – Post Retirement Death Benefit from
the drop down list. See Example 2.
7 Click on the options button under Ins Option.
8 Select coverage level from the drop down list. See
Example 3.
9 Click on Beneficiaries tab. See Example 4.
10 Enter information from retirement package into the
SAP system using percentages.
11 Click on the Contingent identifier box to identify
contingent beneficiary status.
12 Click on the Save icon (orange disk) twice.
13 A Record Created message will display at the lower
left corner of the screen if the information was
accepted into the system. See Example 5.

At the back of each set of instructions, I put the screen copies, email copies and any backup documentation clearly labeled with Example names.

The hardest part of this was organizing all the different tasks into sections so someone could find them easily.

After that was accomplished, (after much angst and a small bald spot!) I compiled all the multiple Word documents and put it in an electronic form, complete with automated table of contents and hyperlinks which took you immediately to the topic at hand and back to the TOC.

Good luck to everyone who is working on a task like this. It is involved but OH so worthwhile! Make sure that you attach copies of some of the tasks to your self appraisal, too!

John January 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Would you please forward a copy of your manual to me at . Thanks.

Lee Cavanaugh January 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Thank you for offering a sample. I would love to have one, also.

Leslye Waldock January 2, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Please send a copy of your procedure manual. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Dona Thornton January 2, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Tawney, I would also like some samples. Thank you. Dona Thornton
dthornton@bgcsouthal.org

Kathleen January 2, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Good Afternoon Tawney,

By the replies that have been logged you have really hit on something that is truly needed. Please forward a copy to me as well.

Kathleen

barbara January 2, 2009 at 1:06 pm

please send me a sample of your procedures manual

Sue Gunderson January 2, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I too would love a copy.
Thank you for doing this for everyone! Regards,
Sue
s.gunderson@womack-machine.com

Frankie Williams January 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Hi Tawney. Here’s one more to add to your list of request. If you will send me your address, I will be happy to send you a Starbuck card for your trouble! :-) My e-mail address is frankie.williams@yahoo.com

Mary Rafferty January 2, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Please send me a copy of the procedure manual. Thank you.

Kathy Anthony January 2, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Me too – please send me a sample of the procedure manual.

Thanks

kanthony@osullivancreel.com

Kandee January 2, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I too would love a copy.
Thank you for taking the time to process these requests!
Admin1@pcd.net

Leslie Lowery January 2, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Please send me a copy of the procedural manual. Thank you for sharing. l.lowery82@comcast.net

Robin Chaffey January 2, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I would appreciate the sample page. Thanks, Tawney!

Barb January 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm

another request for a sample of the procedural manual to bczarnik@plastipak.com vrr6kv

Florence January 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Tawney please me a copy of your procedure manual and thank you.

Judi Denney January 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Would love a sample.

Maggie January 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

As with the others, I would also love to see a sample.
Thanks

Judy January 2, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for the headstart Tawney!

Jean Morrow January 2, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I am interested in receiving your sample standard operating procedure manual. Thank you in advance.

MLK January 2, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Please send me a copy of the procedural manual. You are wonderful to share this with everyone

Belinda January 2, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Please e-mail me the sample also.

Angela January 2, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Please send me a sample of your procedure manual, I would really appreciate it.

Angela

Quynn Verhelst January 2, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I would like to request a sample of your procedure manual. I have three positions I am creating manuals for and any help is appreciated. Thanks

Quynn.Verhelst@state.sd.us

Karen January 2, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I’m always up for improving on existing manuals…please send the sample doc’s to krollings@lmud.org if you get a chance. Thanks!

Misty January 2, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Please email a sample to me also…. j4man1@cox.net

Sheila January 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hi Tawney,
I would love to have a copy of your standard operating procuedure manual and truly appreciate your offer to share with us.

Becky January 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Thanks Tawny for offering to send your “SOP”. I have been in the process of putting one together for the past two years and I am so happy to get some input. Please send to baguilar@mrwmd.org

Mariah January 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hi Tawney,

I’d love to view a sample page from your procedures manual.

Thanks,

Mariah
Mariah.McCullough@pgnmail.com

Marjory January 2, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I, too, would appreciate a sample page: wilsonmar@wvuh.com
Thanks!!

Trish January 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Tawney, could you please send me a copy of your manual. My staff are in the process of eriting their procedujres for each of their job tasks in case others must cover for them. thanks e-mail: tkenney@sam-inc.org

Michelle January 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Count me in, please. myalch@Pioneerfcu.org

Doreen January 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Could you please email me a sample copy also? It could be useful for the rest of the staff when I’m out of the office for any length of time.
Thanks! dalbert@nemours.org

Kathie January 2, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Tawney – Thank you for offeing to share. I would love to see a sample page. kathie.comstock@providence.org

Fred Baragona January 2, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Tawney, I would love to have a copy of your standard operating procuedure manual and really appreciate your offer to share.

Marilyn January 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Tawney – Please send me a copy of your procedure manual, I too will be retiring soon and would like to have something in place for the person who takes my place. It is so nice to have something when you get to a new job, because most everyone things they know what us administrative personnel do.

Kris January 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Could you please send me a copy of your manual also? This has been on my TO-DO List for MONTHS now!!! Thanks!

Terri January 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Linda Blackford January 2, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Tawney – I would like to receive a copy of your procedure manual page.
Please send to lkblackford@comcast.net. Thank You

Jane January 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I would also appreciate a copy of your SOP sample. It is something we all need to do, just have to find the time.
Thanks much

Maria January 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

TAWNEY,

IT WOULD BE INVALUABLE TOOL TO HAVE A SAMPLE OF YOUR MANUAL!
mserrano@buckner.org

Linn January 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Thanks,
Linn

Holly January 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Tawney – thanks for sharing. Please send me a copy of your procedure manual.

Lora Newmeyer January 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Tawney, this is my request for a sample standard operating procedure manual – thank you so much for offering to share a sample from your procedure manual. Lora

Betty Wilkinson January 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Please send me a copy of your procedures manual! Happy new year!

Kathryn January 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Twaney, I would like to have a sample of your procedure manual page as well. Thank you, Kathryn (please see email address below)

Jamie January 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Tawney, I would love to have a sample of your procedure manual. I put one together some time ago and would love to see if you have a more streamlined version. Thanks.

Betty January 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Can I get a copy too please? Thanks.

Graciella January 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Please send me a copy. That is wonderful that you are sharing. Thank you.

Jackie January 2, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Tawney,
Please send me a copy of the samples you have of your procedure manual to: Jackie.Tate@SPX.com

Thank you!

TracyLee Elmore January 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Tawney,

I’d love a copy of your procedure manual form too. Thanks!

Paula Pratt January 2, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Tawney, I would also love a sample. Please send a copy to paula.pratt@sabre.com. Thank you!

Jackie Jones January 2, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Please send me a sample page from your procedures manual
jjones@sans.org

Joni Lynn January 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Tawney,

I, too, would appreciate a copy of the manual – Thanks!

Darlene January 2, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Please send me your sample page of your procedure manual. I put one together myself but I would like to see if I could have improved upon mine. thank you much. Darlene

Jayne January 2, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I would like a copy too. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen January 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Would you mind sending me a sample of your procedure manual? My e-mail is kathleen@midwestwholesale.com. Thank you so much!

Sharon January 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Please forward your procedure manual. Sounds like something I could use. Thanks.

Yolanda January 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I have started a manual but a little input from someone else would be wonderful

Nancy Marrapodi January 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Tawney, I also would love a sample of your procedure manual. Thanks so much! nancymarrapodi@fhshealth.org

Typist4hire January 2, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I would greatly appreciate a sample of your procedure manual. Thank you for sharing.

Mindy January 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Tawney – Thanks for sharing your Manual. I would love to see yours to start one of my own. My email address is mboling@lifetouch.com. Thanks. Mindy

Lisa Bolsinger January 2, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I would like the sample page from the admin who made her policy and procedure manual for her position. Thank you. (I believe it was Tawney?)

Sherry January 2, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Please forward your procedure sample to litt268@bellsouth.net. I have started on myself and would like some more ideas. Thanks much.

Yvonne January 2, 2009 at 11:57 am

Please send me your sample page. Thanks for your willingness to share.

Ed Mafoud January 2, 2009 at 11:57 am

Please send me a copy of your procedure manual.

Ed Mafoud

Kathy January 2, 2009 at 11:57 am

Tawney, please also send me samples of your procedure manual. Thanks. Kathy.galstad@aurora.org

Penny Davis January 2, 2009 at 11:56 am

I would love to see a sample page if you don’t mind sharing. My email address is below. Thank you.

Kathy January 2, 2009 at 11:55 am

Tawney, thank you for sharing your procedure manual. . . my email is kdavis@cloverpark.k12.wa.us

Michelle January 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

Tawney,
I would love to receive a copy also along with any additional tipes that you would like to provide.

Bonnie January 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

Tawney: I would love to see a copy of what you have; bonnie.l.rohrer@bankofamerica.com

Anthea January 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

I would also appreciate a copy of your procedure manual template and any additional tips that you would like to provide.

Arnetta January 2, 2009 at 11:52 am

I am in dire need of your sample. Please send to Arnetta@amsleasing.com.

Linda January 2, 2009 at 11:48 am

Tawney – I would love to have a copy also. Thank you!!

Liane Benentt December 31, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Tawney,
What great tips you gave, I am also in the process of designing a procedure manual. I appreciated any samples you may be able to provide. Thank you!

Toni December 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Tawney,

I would also enjoy a copy of your procedure manual, I am sure it will be very helpful. Thank you very much

Mia December 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I too need help with this. I have started a manual but can’t seem to get it off the ground. A sample would be great. Can you please email me also at panama77@hotmail.com?

Pam Neron December 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Tawney, if you don’t mind sending out an additional copy, I would love to see your example. Thanks a bunch! – Pam
pneron@turbotecproducts.com

Angela R. Jones December 22, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Tawney, could you send me a sample copy of your Procedure Manual.

Thanks
Angela

DeAnn December 22, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I would also like to have a sample of your procedure manual. I would really appreciate it as well.
Thanks

Mary December 22, 2008 at 10:11 am

Tawney, I would also be interested in having a copy of your procedure manual to help me get started. TY. (mary.chapman@clarke.edu)
Mary

sally whitson December 22, 2008 at 9:13 am

Tawney,

Please forward your procedure sample to prdrinker@yahoo.com. Thanks

halleberry December 22, 2008 at 8:28 am

I would appreciate a copy too! i have been attempting to create my manual, for months, how on earth did you find the time?

Ellen December 20, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Please email me your samples, Tawney. I am very interested in putting together a policy/procedure manual for my office. Thank you very much for your help.

Tressie December 19, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Please send procedure manual samples. Thank you,
Tressie

Nancy December 19, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Twaney, I would have to have a sample of your procedure manual page. nancy_g@gdn.edu Thanks — Nancy

Kim Coreson December 19, 2008 at 4:00 pm

One of the sections in the manual I made up was Personnel. I included an organizational chart of heirarchy within and outside the office. Introduce everyone in the office and refer to a map (placed in the index) of where their office is. I

That map also includes banks of file cabinets, storage rooms, outbuildings, etc. In the Filing System section (which includes hardcopy and digital) I refer to the map indicating what documents are filed where.

I learned to number my pages in sections rather than 1-198 or so. That way if there is a change, I don’t have to reprint the entire thing to make it accurate and then go through to re-reference all of my cross-references.

You may also like to indicate who is best to ask about each issue. For each topic just have off to the side “Contact person: Sally James, an email or phone number”

Good luck!

Rose December 19, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Thanks,
rtapia@luna.edu

Ilja Kraag December 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Tawney covered all I was to suggest. And, yes, such a manual is a life saver for everyone.

Tawney December 19, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Start with a list of what you do during a typical week. Even small tasks should be included (for example, I think it’s second nature to get the mail each day, but my coworkers depend on me delivering and receiving the items from the mail room twice a day at certain times, so that I included the times in my procedure manual). For each task or duty that you perform, create a separate procedure document (or separate page in a multi-page document), titled with the specific job, and listing the steps needed, including who to go to for questions, where to find important documents (in files or on the computer), frequency of performing that tastk, etc. Be more detailed than you think you need to be, it will benefit your replacement so much. My predecessor created a manual that was incredibly detailed in her step by step directions which helped me, but also my coworkers who sometimes have to fill in for me while I’m gone. The procedure manual is an invaluable resource. I do have a sample page I could share. I’ll need your email address and would be happy to email you some samples – just post your email (if that’s allowed) on this thread.