Which administrative professionals' organization is the best one to join? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Which administrative professionals' organization is the best one to join?

Question:  “During my annual review, my boss suggested a membership in an administrative professionals’ organization. I've found a couple of them so far but am wondering if one is more reputable than another or has better benefits and resources. Any suggestions?” — Amy

Jose August 21, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I have been a member of IAAP for four years. I have enjoyed it. As Rick mentioned IAAP is currently undergoing some changes to the structure of the organization. Not all of the membership support the changes. The local chapters and state chapters are being abolished and there will no longer be monthly chapter meetings. At chapter meeting we have networked, had events where we listened to speakers, taken educational seminars, etc. If that would be an issue for you keep that in mind before you join.

Rick June 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

I chose IAAP. IAAP has been around for 73 years. Not many can lay claim to that. I have been a member since 2008. They are currently undergoing some changes to make the organization even better. They also offer certification and soon will offer online study and support for the exams. Great people, Great Organization!

Kristy March 12, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I joined ASAP (American Society of Administritive Professionals). It is free to join and you get monthly newletters via e-mail; lots of helpful tips. They do offer classes for a cost if you are intrested, some webinars, and even an annual conference. They are not pushy about participation. Instead, they give you the tools and information needed; letting you take the initative to participate acording to your schedule and financial means.

Barbara Yuson April 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Does anyone know of any administrative association that specializes in Colleges/Universities?

wendy October 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Try the IAAP website. They provide scholarships with colleges. http://www.iaap.org

Cherie April 17, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Wendy, I believe Barbara meant if there was an organization that caters to administrative professionals who work at colleges and/or universities.

I would also be interested in finding that information out.

Thanks.

Robin Moore March 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I am a member of the International Association of Administrative Professionals and have been for the last four years. It is a wonderful organization that allows you to opportunity to network with your administrative peers and also offers you a chance to become certified in the administrative field by taking an exam (the exam in given twice a year). Their website is iaap-hq.org and they are located worldwide.

Good luck in whatever organization that you choose to become a member of.

Amy February 17, 2009 at 10:52 am

If you are a legal administrator or work in a law firm environment as I do, I would look into the ALA (Association of Legal Administrators). The ALA is a wonderful National organization and has Chapters all over the country.
Go to ALA.org.

Amy

Eddi January 5, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I’ve been a member of IAAP for about ten years. If you do not have a local chapter, which currenty I do not, you can still be a member-at-large.

Sandra Lachance January 5, 2009 at 11:41 am

I, too, am a member of IAAP (Profile Chapter) and recommend it highly. Here’s the URL if you want to check it out! http://www.iaap-hq.org/
Chapters hold local meetings, then, in my case, GNED (Greater New England Division) holds training seminars and annual meetings which are great for networking. Highest level is International and each level has it’s own website packed with useful information. Hope you decide to join!

Lila January 3, 2009 at 8:04 am

I agree with all the above. I have been an IAAP member for 4 years and recently received my CPS designation (Certified Professional Secretary) through this organization. This is a widely recognized and respected designation for administrative professionals. It shows your employer you are dedicated to your profession and think of it as a career and not just another job. Go to their website and browse http://www.iaap-hq.org/index.htm

sita horn January 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I agree IAAP is a very supportive, informative, and innovative organization to become one of their members.

Myrna Baumgart CAP December 29, 2008 at 10:51 am

The IAAP professional membership is only slightly more than $100 per year. If your supervisor has suggested joining, maybe the company will pay your annual dues. It’s worth checking out. I’ve been an IAAP member for just about 5 years and have found that the networking and leadership opportunities have helped in my job. The Admin Pro Forum is also a great supplement to my IAAP membership.

Sherri December 21, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I’ve checked in to a couple but they cost hundreds of dollars. I work for a non-profit agency which is currently trying to eliminate a deficit so I couldn’t possibly ask for a $600 admin membership. I’m happy with what Admin Pro provides.

Samantha December 19, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I would recommend the Association of Executive and Administrative Professionals (http://www.theaeap.com/). They have a very helpful monthly newsletter, member discounts on things like rental cars, and a forum. They also offer online classes at a good rate – I took an Administrative Assistant Fundamentals course for $99.

LINDA December 19, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Shannon – if you are reading this – you should look into this. IAAP is a great organization. Perhaps one of your goals could be to research the membership

Kathy December 19, 2008 at 1:25 pm

You should look into the International Association of Adminstrative Assistants (IAAP)

Melody December 19, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I concur. The IAAP is a wonderful organization. I have been a member for four years and not only is there great networking and education, they provide lots of leadership opportunities. The headquarters website is http://www.iaap-hq.org.

Rhonda M. Strong December 19, 2008 at 12:57 pm

If you can only afford one organization, I highly recommend the Interantional Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP). This organization has monthly local meetings and occational state meetings and international meetings. Having local meetings gives members the opportunity to develop personally and professionally in a supportive environment. You have the ability to grown and learn at your own pace remembering that you only get out of it what you put into it. The more involved you are, the more you really get out of your membership. I’ve learned advanced leadership and other professional skills that I would have never learned in my day-to-day job. I would welcome additonal discussion if you would like to email me at rmstrong@eastman.com. (I also belong to a couple of other professional organizations, but IAAP is the best, by far.)

Lisa December 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I suggest IAAP (International Association of Administrative Professionals. They are a great team and learn.