Check your retirement plan to see if it gave proper service credit to women who tookbefore the took effect in 1979.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission recently settled a class-action lawsuit in which it accused Cincinnati Bell Telephone and Cincinnati Bell Information Systems of denying 458 women proper retirement-plan credit during their maternity leave.
Bottom line: Treat pregnancy the same as other temporary disabilities when you calculate seniority for a person who takes medical leave.
- With good reason, it's OK to fire upon return from FMLA
- Ensure your FMLA practices comply with new GINA regulations
- Inequitably reducing or denying bonus may be retaliation
- Documenting 'In Case of Litigation' Isn't Proof of Job Bias
- OK to terminate employee who is psychologically unfit to perform stressful job