Check your retirement plan to see if it gave proper service credit to women who tookbefore the took effect in 1979.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission recently settled a class-action lawsuit in which it accused Cincinnati Bell Telephone and Cincinnati Bell Information Systems of denying 458 women proper retirement-plan credit during their maternity leave.
Bottom line: Treat pregnancy the same as other temporary disabilities when you calculate seniority for a person who takes medical leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- EEOC: Goldsboro company wouldn't accommodate Sabbath
- Mere days of harassment mean lawsuit when 'Constructive discharge' is involved
- Take off the kid gloves! Bosses must still manage, even after employee complains
- Keep cases from escalating: When hot-headed manager blows up, order cooling-off period