When Tony Hsieh, CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos.com, interviews people, he asks candidates this question: On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being “bad things always happen to me”) how lucky are you in life?
Hsieh said the number gives insight into the candidate’s motivation and outlook on life. “Luck is really about being open to opportunities,” he said.
- Arbitration agreement buried in job application? Have your attorney review it ASAP
- Beware unintended bias against unmarried workers, applicants
- Sports apparel firm pushes fitness, team spirit
- Use job skills test before hiring to make sure applicant is qualified
- The New ADA: What It Means for Employers and HR