When Tony Hsieh, CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos.com, interviews people, he asks candidates this question: On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being “bad things always happen to me”) how lucky are you in life?
Hsieh said the number gives insight into the candidate’s motivation and outlook on life. “Luck is really about being open to opportunities,” he said.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Hiring managers aren't doctors! Don't let them turn away disabled applicants
- Paper, shmaper! As résumés go high-Tech, so should HR
- Do not assume that only U.S. citizens are authorized to work here
- At hiring meetings, think like a consultant