Like Tom Cruise’s character in the movie “A Few Good Men,” you’ve got to demand the truth from team members. A first step for a leader is to say, “Above all else, I want the truth.”
Once you get the truth, can you handle it? Ask yourself: Have I encouraged bad news, as well as the good? When I get bad news, do I react in a way that discourages more?
Source: Terry Starbucker
- Developing Leaders: What's all the fuss about Gen Y?
- Balance intense, bottom-line focus with a dose of fun
- Nailing the interview: Soft skills trump technical skills
- Ignoring harassment? You may be hit with more than claims
- When it comes to firing offenses, be sure you can show you treated everyone equally