Under a new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settlement, a group of valet/bellmen will collect $120,000 each from the upscale California hotel that replaced them with white workers.
The problem: Hotel managers set subjective criteria for hiring the new workers that included whether the applicants where considered "cool" or good looking.
Even when using objective criteria, you need to watch out for standards that may illegally affect a certain group disproportionately.
The hotel's bell staff went from about 90 percent minority to 100 percent white.
- Court: Even 'Unintended Harassment' Can Be Illegal
- How should we handle partial days off for our salaried business manager?
- Courts more reluctant these days to extend deadlines for filing lawsuits
- Broward's wellness program survives ADA court challenge
- Loose lips lose lawsuits: Screen performance reviews for FMLA comments