Under a new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settlement, a group of valet/bellmen will collect $120,000 each from the upscale California hotel that replaced them with white workers.
The problem: Hotel managers set subjective criteria for hiring the new workers that included whether the applicants where considered "cool" or good looking.
Even when using objective criteria, you need to watch out for standards that may illegally affect a certain group disproportionately.
The hotel's bell staff went from about 90 percent minority to 100 percent white.
- Case tossed for lack of facts? Don't discard files yet
- What's an ADA disability?.... And nine more questions you'd better be able to answer
- Same-sex marriage: What the trend means for employers and HR
- Whistleblower Act doesn't always require providing written notice to employer
- Do temporary employees count?