Under a new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settlement, a group of valet/bellmen will collect $120,000 each from the upscale California hotel that replaced them with white workers.
The problem: Hotel managers set subjective criteria for hiring the new workers that included whether the applicants where considered "cool" or good looking.
Even when using objective criteria, you need to watch out for standards that may illegally affect a certain group disproportionately.
The hotel's bell staff went from about 90 percent minority to 100 percent white.
- Revamp employment contracts to account for new tax rules
- Review privacy and surveillance policies in light of new California Supreme Court ruling
- New minimum-Wage law: Beware the 'Poster pretense'
- Buying business and rehiring staff? Beware excluding employees who have filed lawsuits
- Résumés? Cover letters? You need to go deeper