Under a new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settlement, a group of valet/bellmen will collect $120,000 each from the upscale California hotel that replaced them with white workers.
The problem: Hotel managers set subjective criteria for hiring the new workers that included whether the applicants where considered "cool" or good looking.
Even when using objective criteria, you need to watch out for standards that may illegally affect a certain group disproportionately.
The hotel's bell staff went from about 90 percent minority to 100 percent white.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- New laws for a new year: Illinois employers face new credit check, wage payment requirements
- Feds offer amnesty for contractor misclassification
- References, Background Checks
- Is there any way to keep staff from speaking with former employee's attorney?