Administrative assistant Terri Vanias works for a company that’s feeling the pinch of a protracted recession. (Many of you can probably relate.) In the past, the company has given bonus checks to employees who had worked there for five, 10, 15 and 20 years. The checks were handed out during a swanky annual dinner, in front of everyone.
For the past couple of years, though, the company has had to trim the budget. “We’re considering cutting back even more this year,” says Vanias.
Her company isn’t the only one finding ways to do more with less, even when it comes to recognizing and honoring employees:
• One admin, Mark, says his company tames costs by holding the event during the workday. “We have an in-office presentation for them on their anniversary date,” he says. “It’s free, other than the award gift.”
• Host a hot lunch in their honor, recommends admin Rebecca. Invite their supervisors, department staff and top. She says, “A few words of honor are spoken on their behalf, a plaque and check are presented, and we wrap it up within an hour and a half.”
• Small gestures might do the trick, suggest several other admins on the Admin Pro Forum. For example, you might give honorees a certificate and have the manager take the honoree out for a lunch, or simply deliver a few heartfelt words of appreciation in front of co-workers.
• Rollinto other companywide events. For example, some companies recognize employees at annual holiday parties either with slideshows or awards.
• The key, says admin Susan, is not to forget how meaningful recognition is. Her boss once encouraged her to enter an awards program, and the experience “gave me new confidence in my work.”
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/14644/budget-minded-ways-to-honor-employees "