Does it ever seem like your newly promoted manager is blindly muddling through the job? Well, she probably is.
A recent poll revealed that only one in 10 recently promoted individuals received any leadership training or coaching.
That means 90% of newly promoted managers are learning through trial and error. Nearly half said they had no clear idea of what was expected of them.
Discover the fastest way to your next promotion with The Little Black Book of Executive Secrets
If you find yourself promoted—without feeling prepared—here’s a crash course in managing others:
1. Use the first 100 days to gather information. Make sure you understand why things are done the way they are, recommends Allen Moore, who has coached managers at 3M, Disney, Hewlett-Packard and others.
2. Ask upper management what exactly your priorities should be. “Then give higher-ups progress reports as you go along, and ask for confirmation that you’re heading in the right direction,” says Sharon Daniels, CEO of training firm AchieveGlobal.
Knowing what you’re supposed to be doing may sound obvious. But remember that nearly half of new managers don’t know what’s expected of them.
Eight highly prosperous managers reveal their proven secrets on how they got to the top of their professions. Make your next promotion happen in record time with the leadership techniques, skill-building practices and experienced wisdom you’ll find in The Little Black Book of Executive Secrets. Learn more...
3. Identify two or three positive changes you can make immediately. Then meet with those you manage to get their ideas on what else could be done to meet goals.
“You need to score some early ‘wins,’ but without moving too fast,” says Moore. Talk about a balancing act!
4. Avoid the temptation to try and do everything yourself. As a manager, your goal is to build the capabilities of those you manage, says Moore.
5. Take care of yourself. “When you first step into a bigger job, there’s so much to do, and with leaner organizations and fewer resources than in the past, not to mention lightning-fast, 24/7 technology, people find themselves working 20 hours a day.
“This is a marathon, not a sprint.”
You’ll find the answers in this handy collection of executive wisdom, called The Little Black Book of Executive Secrets. Learn how to win over a new boss … build successful teams … get your message out … turn stress into power … say no … shine at meetings … move up the corporate ladder … turn negatives into positives … and so much more.
Follow the stories of eight highly successful managers as they reveal their personal strategies for winning a desired promotion – fast … and being the master of your own career. These insights will help you get ahead and stay ahead!
It’s like having your own personal executive coach showing you how to succeed – right in your back pocket. Hurry! For a limited time only you get a special 50% Savings and 100% Money-Back Guarantee. Get your copy here...
— Adapted from “Just got promoted? How not to blow it,” Anne Fisher, Fortune.