Employees spend an average of 53 hours on the job each year resolving their families' legal issues, according to a new survey by Harris Interactive. The cost in lost productivity: $1,625 per employee.
One option: Add prepaid legal plans to your. The perk has been gaining popularity among big businesses, and now the industry is targeting smaller employers.
Employees typically pick up the cost, paying average premiums of $20 a month. In return, the worker gets a certain amount of free or fixed-cost legal services for such routine matters as real-estate closing, will preparation and consumer disputes.
For referrals and more details, contact the National Resource Center for Consumers of Legal Services at www.nrccls.org or (804) 693-9330.
The industry leaders include:
- Prepaid Legal Services Inc., www.prepaidlegal.com, (800) 654-7757.
- Hyatt Legal Plans, www.legalplans.com, (800) 423-0300.
- The ARAG Group, www.araggroup.com, (800) 888-4184.
- What's the new law? Must we now provide health insurance to employees' adult children?
- Lowe's to offer free employee health screenings
- Seasonal work, temps and 1099 status: Are we liable for unemployment comp?
- Who's doing a better job: Your boss or the CEO?
- Random wisdom from this week's SHRM conference