1. What does the Fair Labor Standards Act () say about rest breaks for private-sector employees?
a. One 30-minute rest break required every eight hours
b. Two 15-minute rest breaks every eight hours
c. Federal law doesn’t mandate rest breaks, but some state laws do
2. The Supreme Court will soon decide on an important case involving Walmart that will determine:
a. Whether the company must open more stores in impoverished areas
b. Whether it will face the biggest class-action discrimination lawsuit in history
c. Whether its smily-face logo is discriminatory against sad people
3. Federal child-labor laws say 14- and 15-year-olds can only work three hours on a school day and 18 hours in a school week. How long can they work otherwise:
a. 5 hours on a nonschool day in a nonschool week, or 25 hours in a nonschool week.
b. 8 hours on a nonschool day in a nonschool week, or 40 hours in a nonschool week.
c. 10 hours on a nonschool day in a nonschool week, or 50 hours in a nonschool week.
4. Union membership fell last year to its lowest level since 1935. What percentage of private-sector workers participate in a labor union?
a. 6.9% b. 11.9% c. 16.9%
5. What has reached its lowest levels since 1993?
a. On-the-job incidents of violence
b. Percentage of employees earning bonuses
c. Percentage of people exhibiting good manners in the workplace
Sources: 1. U.S. Department of Labor; 2. U.S. Supreme Court; 3. www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor; 4. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics; 5. U.S. Department of Justice
Answers: 1. c 2. b 3. b 4. a 5. a
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/14577/the-hr-iq-test-may-11 "
- Employees can't sue under state's ERA if other laws cover employer
- You can offer better benefits to older workers, Supreme Court rules
- Going-out-of-business sale price: $80,000 for bias
- High court clears way for more retaliation suits
- How to prevent succession planning from triggering discrimination complaints