A 30-year veteran at University Hospitals in Cleveland has won an age discrimination case in Cuyahoga County court. Gloria Parks argued that her supervisor blamed her for the mistakes of two younger co-workers because he favored young, female workers.
Parks was fired after Steve Diltz blamed her for a mix-up involving a patient’s blood sample. Parks claimed two younger employees were really at fault.
A jury agreed with Parks and awarded her $900,000, an amount it determined she would have earned had she not been terminated. University Hospitals attorneys say they plan to appeal.
- Beware Sec. 1981 lawsuits, which target race bias
- Court: Even 'Unintended Harassment' Can Be Illegal
- No need to get employees' OK before misconduct investigations
- EEOC wrings $500,000 out of Everdry in harassment settlement
- Base all decisions on legit business needs--and then be sure to document your reasoning