A 30-year veteran at University Hospitals in Cleveland has won an age discrimination case in Cuyahoga County court. Gloria Parks argued that her supervisor blamed her for the mistakes of two younger co-workers because he favored young, female workers.
Parks was fired after Steve Diltz blamed her for a mix-up involving a patient’s blood sample. Parks claimed two younger employees were really at fault.
A jury agreed with Parks and awarded her $900,000, an amount it determined she would have earned had she not been terminated. University Hospitals attorneys say they plan to appeal.
- EEOC sues amusement park in Austin for disability bias
- Boss's verbal gaffe doesn't prove retaliation
- More employers try to regulate employees' off-Duty behavior
- Woodmere Village settles reverse discrimination suit
- Investigate or else! When harassment surfaces, HR inquiries and action could be worth millions