A 30-year veteran at University Hospitals in Cleveland has won an age discrimination case in Cuyahoga County court. Gloria Parks argued that her supervisor blamed her for the mistakes of two younger co-workers because he favored young, female workers.
Parks was fired after Steve Diltz blamed her for a mix-up involving a patient’s blood sample. Parks claimed two younger employees were really at fault.
A jury agreed with Parks and awarded her $900,000, an amount it determined she would have earned had she not been terminated. University Hospitals attorneys say they plan to appeal.
- Immediately apply your policy to stop harassment before it escalates
- Taming the paper tiger: What to keep—and for how long
- Georgia Not Likely to Ban Sexual-Orientation Discrimination
- Using an arbitration agreement? Keep detailed records of employee acceptance
- Small businesses: Check to see if you're too small to be sued