1. The Obama administration is planning final regulations that would require employers to display a new poster in their workplaces that notifies employees of their right to:
a. Join and form a union
b. Be paid time-and-a-half for work beyond 40 hours in a week
c. File legal complaints against their employer without being retaliated against
2. Which element of the health care reform law do HR professionals think is most confusing for employees?
a. Annual and lifetime limits
b. Account reimbursement
c. Coverage for older children
3. Which group has issued several pro-union rulings this year that give employees more labor rights in the workplace?
a. The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
b. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
c. The U.S. Department of Labor
4. What percentage of U.S. employees say they’ve participated in a March Madness NCAA basketball pool at work, according to a CareerBuilder survey?
a. 20% total (28% males, 11% females)
b. 32% total (41% males, 23% females)
c. 46% total (58% males, 31% females)
5. What other things, according to the same CareerBuilder survey, do people say they’ve bet on in their workplaces?
a. Time of day a co-worker would fall asleep at her desk
b. Blood alcohol level of drunk patients
c. How long a co-worker could keep binder clips attached to his body
d. All of the above
6. Union membership runs highest in which type of profession?
Sources: 1. NLRB.gov; 2. SHRM survey; 3. NLRB.gov; 4 and 5. CareerBuilder.com; 6. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.Answers: 1. A 2. B 3. A 4. A 5. D 6. C
- Recoup training costs, but beware doing so with last paycheck
- What to do when complainer is actually the harasser?
- Performance reviews: Cut liability, add punch to annual chore
- California Fair Employment and Housing Act
- Act fast and fairly to investigate when employee complains of hostile work environment